I want to be an astrophysicist, should I major in that or just in physics?

In summary, the individual is struggling with math but is interested in studying physics and astronomy. They have questions about whether to stick with physics or switch to astrophysics, the starting pay for a career in this field, and tips for self-discipline in learning math. The expert advises majoring in physics and taking classes in astronomy, math, and computer science. They also mention the need for a PhD and the potential starting salary for a career in this field.
GKDAIR
First off, I have this huge bug with math. When I understand it the problems take me a few seconds to do, when I don't, its like world war 3.

So why did I pick physics of all things? Because I love space, I would love nothing more then to study the planets.

But to do this it will require a lot of hard work, so I have some questions for you guys.

1) Currently I'm going to a junior college, but plan to transfer to university next year, when I transfer should I stick with Physics or change to Astrophysics? I'd be attending OU or UT, OU has an astrophysics program while UT doesn't, but UT does have a physics program

2) What would be my starting pay, rough estimate?

3) Any tips to help with self discipline and actually learning math instead of just slouching through it like I do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Major in physics and take classes in astronomy, math, and computer science. You'll need a PhD in astronomy, astrophysics, or physics to do much of anything in the field, and almost all of those grad schools require a strong physics background and physics GRE scores. Starting pay, and jobs in general, depend on the highest degree you earn and where you get a job. A physics major can pay pretty well, but there aren't many jobs in astronomy that don't require a PhD. Starting salary with a PhD usually means a postdoc position, and those don't tend to pay very well. Of course, seeing as how you just spend 6+ years living off 20k a year as a grad student, making 40k or 50k seems like a lot of money.

FAQ: I want to be an astrophysicist, should I major in that or just in physics?

1. What is the difference between majoring in astrophysics and physics?

Majoring in astrophysics focuses on the study of celestial bodies and the laws of the universe, while majoring in physics covers a broader range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. Astrophysics is a subfield of physics that combines principles of physics with astronomy to study the properties and behavior of objects in the universe.

2. Will majoring in astrophysics limit my career options compared to a physics major?

No, majoring in astrophysics does not limit your career options. Many industries and research institutions value the skills and knowledge gained from an astrophysics major, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. You can pursue a career in fields such as aerospace, astronomy, data science, education, and more.

3. What are the job prospects for astrophysicists compared to physics majors?

The job market for astrophysicists and physics majors is similar, with both fields experiencing steady growth. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for physicists and astronomers is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. However, job opportunities may vary depending on your location, industry, and level of education.

4. Is it necessary to double major in astrophysics and physics?

While double majoring in astrophysics and physics can provide a well-rounded education, it is not necessary. You can gain a strong foundation in astrophysics by majoring in physics and taking additional courses in astronomy and astrophysics. Additionally, some universities offer astrophysics as a concentration within a physics major.

5. What skills do I need to excel as an astrophysicist?

To excel as an astrophysicist, you need a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. You should also have excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to work well in a team and communicate complex concepts effectively. Additionally, having a passion for space and a curiosity about the mysteries of the universe can greatly benefit your success as an astrophysicist.