I want to live by the water. (PetE)

• Thread starter y0nkers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, a 1st year Petroleum Engineering student is looking to move to a coastal town to raise a family. He is concerned about the few places that a Petroleum Engineer can live and is looking for advice on other options. He is interested in the field of reservoir engineering and may eventually specialize in that field.
y0nkers
This is a bit silly, I know.

I'm a 1st year Petroleum Engineering student right now. I chose this major due to an interest in geology and fluids. Also due to the travel opportunities that are available to PetE grads and obviously the high salary.

One thing that has been eating at me lately is how few places a Petroleum Engineer can live. I was born and raised in a small town by the ocean and want nothing more than to settle down and raise a family in one as well. It will make me happy. I've looked pretty extensively into where PetE's can live and most places are not ideal to my wishes (living on an oil rig 6 months of the year doesn't count as living by the ocean). I love wildlife and the outdoors, but a lot of Petroleum Engineering jobs are located in cities or urban sprawl.

Being that it is still my 1st year, I still can easily change my major. What is another type of engineering that would allow me to travel, work in a town by the water, and ideally work outside a bit. Could it also just be possible to stick with PetE (which I love so far) and maybe just eventually start my own company related to the field in a coastal town? Or something else like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
As I'm sure you know, there is a lot of oil work in the Gulf of Mexico... I have friends who work in oil services, and live in Houston. It's not on the beach, but it's less than an hour drive to Galveston. There's also plenty of work in Louisiana and Alabama... more beaches (and swamps). You may not live right on the beach, but you'll be a lot closer than you would be with a lot of jobs.

As nuclear85 said.

You can live on the water if you want, but you may have a bit of a commute.

nuclear85 said:
As I'm sure you know, there is a lot of oil work in the Gulf of Mexico... I have friends who work in oil services, and live in Houston. It's not on the beach, but it's less than an hour drive to Galveston. There's also plenty of work in Louisiana and Alabama... more beaches (and swamps). You may not live right on the beach, but you'll be a lot closer than you would be with a lot of jobs.
Galveston beaches are not the greatest

They're not the greatest, but they're not the worst. If the search is restricted to only the world's best beaches, this becomes considerably harder.

nuclear85 said:
They're not the greatest, but they're not the worst. If the search is restricted to only the world's best beaches, this becomes considerably harder.
Maybe not the best but at least where the water is not dirty brown.
If you work on an offshore platform where you have a "two weeks on-two weeks off" schedule, you can live anywhere within a couple hours flight. A friend of mine works as a petroleum engineer where he travels for a month at a time to places like Baku, Algeria, Brazil etc and then gets a month off...he could live anywhere

What sub-specialty are you shooting for? As a Facilities PetE the Gulf coast and southern California are options. I think there is a Chesapeake Energy (nat. gas) compressor station in Virginia Beach, so Outer Banks North Carolina is 30-45 mins away if traffic permits. Production/drilling engineering, might give rise to opportunities around Houston, and again southern California. Otherwise Nat. Gas in Australia, or Norway. I'm personally really interested in OceanE, I am hoping to get a job designing/constructing/transporting offshore platforms, for a company near or around Houston. If you get a graduate degree specializing in reservoir engineering(very competitive) you could have high hopes of a job at a corporate office near the ocean. Hope this helps.

FAQ: I want to live by the water. (PetE)

1. What are the benefits of living by the water?

Living by the water can have numerous benefits, both for physical and mental health. The fresh air near the water can improve breathing and reduce stress levels. Being near the water also provides opportunities for activities such as swimming, fishing, and boating, which can promote a more active lifestyle. Additionally, the sound of water can have a calming effect on the mind and promote relaxation.

2. Are there any risks associated with living by the water?

While living by the water can have many benefits, it is important to be aware of potential risks. These include the risk of flooding during severe weather events, erosion of the shoreline, and exposure to waterborne illnesses. It is important to research the specific location and take necessary precautions to mitigate these risks.

3. What are some factors to consider when choosing a location to live by the water?

When choosing a location to live by the water, it is important to consider factors such as proximity to amenities, the type of water (ocean, lake, river), and the climate. It is also important to research the area for potential risks, as well as the cost of living and property values.

4. How does living by the water impact the environment?

Living by the water can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it can provide a habitat for various marine and plant life. On the other hand, it can also contribute to pollution and erosion if not properly managed. It is important for residents to be mindful of their impact and take steps to preserve the surrounding environment.

5. What are some tips for maintaining a home by the water?

Living by the water can require some additional maintenance to protect your home from potential risks such as flooding and erosion. Some tips for maintaining a home by the water include elevating the property, installing flood barriers, and using erosion control methods such as planting vegetation. It is also important to regularly check for any signs of damage and make necessary repairs in a timely manner.