I was wondering what would happen with these spinning magnets

In summary, this person is thinking of a way to create electricity using magnets. They say that if you have two magnets that are negative together, then you can create friction in the middle and this will create electricity. They also say that if the magnets are made out of non-magnetic materials, then the machine will work even better.
KidThinkPhysics
So I was thinking about something quickly in science while my Science teacher told me about electromagnets creating electricity and stuff.

Then I thought, what if there was 2 big magnets both negative together creating friction in the middle?(idk)
Then a nice big pole which transfers Friction into electromagnetic energy is holding the magnets in place, the poles also have a very strong motor. Now, here comes the part where I kind of got stuck and had to really think. The motors turn the pole turning the magnets opposite way(so like 1 of the magnets go one way and the other magnet goes the other way)But the secret I put in it is keeping the motors spinning the magnets on the negative sides creating constant friction in the middle.

I'm not sure on this since I'm still in KS3. Its just an idea I thought of.

Also the magnets would of been non-magnetic iron filled with Copper :)

Physics news on Phys.org
KidThinkPhysics said:
So I was thinking about something quickly in science while my Science teacher told me about electromagnets creating electricity and stuff.

Then I thought, what if there was 2 big magnets both negative together creating friction in the middle?(idk)
Then a nice big pole which transfers Friction into electromagnetic energy is holding the magnets in place, the poles also have a very strong motor. Now, here comes the part where I kind of got stuck and had to really think. The motors turn the pole turning the magnets opposite way(so like 1 of the magnets go one way and the other magnet goes the other way)But the secret I put in it is keeping the motors spinning the magnets on the negative sides creating constant friction in the middle.

I'm not sure on this since I'm still in KS3. Its just an idea I thought of.

Also the magnets would of been non-magnetic iron filled with Copper :)
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What is the point of your thought experiment? If you are trying to think up a "perpetual motion machine" (PMM), they do not work and we don't discuss them here.

I cannot make heads or tails out of your setup. Can you draw a neat diagram, with labels for everything?

Even if you explain your setup, you still haven't said what the setup supposed to do.

KidThinkPhysics said:
etc.
Oh boy, you seem to have landed right in it!
You will only get a proper answer here if your write a specific, proper question. I think, if you consider what you have written and then extract what you want to know, you may get more joy here. :smile:
One question at a time gets the best results.

Related to I was wondering what would happen with these spinning magnets

1. How do the magnets spin?

The magnets spin due to the phenomenon known as magnetism. Each magnet has a north and south pole, and the opposite poles will attract while the same poles will repel. This attraction and repulsion causes the magnets to spin when they are placed in close proximity to each other.

2. What determines the speed of the spinning magnets?

The speed of the spinning magnets is determined by several factors, including the strength of the magnets, the distance between them, and any external forces acting on the magnets (such as friction or air resistance). In general, stronger magnets and closer distances will result in faster spinning.

3. Will anything change if I change the size or shape of the magnets?

Yes, the size and shape of the magnets can affect the way they spin. Larger or differently shaped magnets may have different magnetic fields or distribution of poles, which can impact the way they interact with each other and ultimately affect the speed and direction of their spinning.

4. Can the spinning magnets create electricity?

Yes, spinning magnets can create electricity through a process called electromagnetic induction. When a magnet spins near a conductor (such as a wire), it will create a moving magnetic field which can induce an electric current in the conductor. This is the basis for many types of generators and motors.

5. Are there any real-world applications for spinning magnets?

Yes, spinning magnets have many practical applications in our daily lives. They are used in generators to produce electricity, in motors to power various machines and devices, and in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines for medical imaging. They also play a role in many other technologies, such as speakers, hard drives, and magnetic levitation trains.