I with how to do change in enthelpy

• Thread starter NickP717
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the problem involves calculating the enthalpy change, DeltaH, for three reactions in terms of kJ/mol for either HCl or NaOH reactants. The first reaction had a temperature range of 22.6-35.7 degrees C, the second had a range of 22.5-23.8 degrees C, and the third had a range of 22.4-31.7 degrees C. To find the heat of the reaction, an equation relating enthalpy to energy must be used and the answer can be obtained by dividing by the appropriate units of the reactant. If needed, NIST or CRC can be consulted for assistance.
NickP717
The problem says: Enthalpy is always reported with respect to a reactant. Calculate the enthalpy change, DeltaH, for each reaction in terms of kJ/mol for one of the reactants. (i.e either HCL or NaOH).

I had three reactions:

1. NaOH + HCL---->H20 +NaCl
2.NH4Cl +NaOH---->H20 +NH3 +NaCl
3. HCl +NH3---->NH4

The first reaction I measured out 25.3mL of 2.0M HCl into a foam cup, then I dumped in 25.4mL of NaOH solution into the cup... my lowest temperature was 22.6 degrees C (before two solutions re combined., and my highest was 35.7 degrees C (when the solutions were mixed).

The second reaction I measured 25mL of 2.0M NaOH into a foam cup and then dumped 25.4mL of 2.0M NH4Cl solution. My lowest temperature was 22.5 degrees C (before mixing), and highest was 23.8 degrees C (after mixing).

The third reaction I measured 25.3mL of 2.0M HCl into a foam cup and then dumped 25.5 mL of 2.0M NH3 solution. My lowest temperature was 22.4 degrees C (before mixing), and highest was 31. 7 degrees C (after mixing thr two solutions.

Can somebody help me and show me what to do possibly, I really have no clue. Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to figure out the heat of the reaction by the change in temperature of the water. What is the equation that needs to be used for this?

Find the equation that relates enthalpy to energy.

Then it is a matter of dividing by the appropriate units of the reactant to get your answer. If you have trouble , simply consult NIST or CRC.

I can provide some guidance on how to approach calculating the enthalpy change for these reactions. First, it is important to understand that enthalpy is a measure of the heat energy released or absorbed during a reaction. It is reported with respect to a reactant, meaning the enthalpy change for a reaction will be different depending on which reactant is used as the reference point.

In this case, the problem asks for the enthalpy change in terms of kJ/mol for one of the reactants, either HCl or NaOH. To calculate the enthalpy change, you will need to use the heat capacity equation: q = m x C x deltaT, where q is the heat energy released or absorbed, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and deltaT is the change in temperature.

For the first reaction, you will need to calculate the heat energy released or absorbed by the reaction using the temperature change and the heat capacity of the solution (which can be found in a reference table). This will give you the enthalpy change in terms of kJ. Then, you can divide by the moles of the chosen reactant (either HCl or NaOH) to get the enthalpy change per mole.

Repeat this process for the other two reactions, and you will have the enthalpy change in terms of kJ/mol for each reaction. Remember to use the same reactant as the reference point for all three reactions.

I hope this helps guide you in calculating the enthalpy change for these reactions. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification. Good luck!

Related to I with how to do change in enthelpy

1. What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a thermodynamic system. It includes both the internal energy of the system and the work required to change the system's volume at constant pressure.

2. How can enthalpy be changed?

Enthalpy can be changed through various processes such as chemical reactions, phase changes, and heating or cooling. It can also be changed by altering the pressure or volume of the system.

3. What is the equation for calculating enthalpy?

The equation for calculating enthalpy is H = U + PV, where H is enthalpy, U is internal energy, P is pressure, and V is volume. In some cases, the equation may also include the product of the number of moles (n) and the gas constant (R).

4. How does enthalpy relate to temperature?

Enthalpy and temperature are directly related. As the temperature of a system increases, its enthalpy also increases. This is because enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, and temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of its particles.

5. Why is enthalpy an important concept in chemistry?

Enthalpy is an important concept in chemistry because it helps us understand and predict the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions. It also allows us to determine the direction in which a reaction will proceed based on the enthalpy change. Enthalpy is also used in many industrial processes, such as power generation and chemical production.