I with my design engineering homewrk

In summary, the conversation is about an assignment in a design engineering class where the student is asked to determine the maximum weight that can float in a boat made out of a single sheet of cardboard with dimensions of 4 feet by 8 feet. The boat can be folded and cut in any shape. There is also a requirement to prove the solution. The conversation includes calculations and discussion on the maximum weight and volume of the boat, as well as the weight of water it can displace. The student also mentions the need to consider Archimedes' principle in the problem.
vondutchgurl
i was given an assignment in my design engineering class...it goes as follows:

What is the maximum amount of weight that can float in a boat made out of 1 sheet of cardboard 4 feet by 8 feet in size...when flat but it can be folded and cut and glued in any shape you choose.
**you also have to be able to prove your solution**

If the dimensions were 2' by 2' by 4' then the volume would be 32
and then next would i have to times 32 by 62.4 ( weight of water per cubis foot) to give me the answer.?

cuz it would come out too be 1996.8 pounds...and it seems to me that that's a little to much for a cardboard box on water to hold

if anyone could help me with this that would be awesome
thanks
-brooke

thanks--- :biggrin:
brooke

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't exactly my field, but it might help to know what those dimensions are. I would assume it would support the maximum weight if it displaced the maximum volume for the given area, which makes it a relatively simple extreme-value problem.

you need to remember archamedias in this problem because the weifgt of the water displaced is also the weight of the water inside so you can't fill it to the top cause if you do then it would sink

FAQ: I with my design engineering homewrk

What is design engineering homework?

Design engineering homework is a type of academic assignment that involves applying engineering principles, techniques, and methods to design a product, system, or process. It may require using computer-aided design (CAD) software, conducting research, and creating technical drawings or models.

Why is design engineering homework important?

Design engineering homework is important because it allows students to apply the theoretical concepts they have learned in class to real-world practical problems. It helps them develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and technical skills that are essential in the field of engineering.

What topics are typically covered in design engineering homework?

The topics covered in design engineering homework may vary depending on the specific course or assignment. However, some common topics include materials selection, analysis and optimization, prototyping, manufacturing processes, and project management.

How do I approach my design engineering homework?

To approach your design engineering homework, it is important to first understand the requirements and objectives of the assignment. Then, break the problem down into smaller, manageable tasks and create a plan to complete each task. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from your professor or classmates if you encounter difficulties.

What resources can I use to help with my design engineering homework?

There are several resources that can be useful when working on design engineering homework. These include textbooks, online articles and tutorials, engineering databases, and software programs such as CAD. Your professor may also provide you with specific resources or references for your assignment.

Back