I with my mechanical principles home work.

In summary, the problem involves a drop hammer of mass 200kg falling freely through 2m to strike a forging. The hammer then stops after 50mm and does not rebound. The mass of the forging is 500kg. To determine the average resistance of the metal, the principle of conservation of momentum can be used to calculate the velocity of the metal immediately after impact. The forging does not directly stop the hammer, but the work done by the metal on the hammer as it is brought to rest can be used to calculate the average force exerted by the metal.
james9.81
A drop hammer of mass 200kg falls freely through a distance of 2m to strike a forging and is brought to rest after a distance of 50 mm. The hammer does not rebound after impact. The mass of the forging is 500 kg. Determine the average resistance of the metal.

please can anyone solve this question, will be much appreciate :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming by "resistance of the metal" they are asking you to either find the force applied on the hammer or the acceleration.

Break the problem into 2 parts. One is a simple free falling body problem, the other is the forging stopping the hammer (which is basically the free falling body in reverse with a different acceleration).

All you really care about is the second part, but you will need to gather information from the first part. So first, just think how you would solve the second part by itself, that should tell you what information you are missing. Then you will know what information you will need to solve for using the first part.

Therefore should i workout the velocity of the metal immediately after impact using the principle of conservation of momentum.

momentum of system before impact = momentum of system after impact

m1 V1 = (m1 + m2)v2
so v2 =m1 v1 / (m1 + m2) =

I'm sorry, what exactly is a "forging"? and in what way does it stop the hammer?

forging is the shaping of metal, for example a blacksmith forges steel swords.The forging doesn't stop the hammer doesn't stop the hammer in anyway.

Hint: Consider the work done on the hammer as it is brought to rest. Use that to figure out the average force that the metal exerts on the hammer.

Thanks for the hint, helped a lot :approve:

I think he solved the problem, so I hope you won't mind if I ask something again.

You said the forging doesn't stop the hammer at all.. but then how does the hammer stop after 50mm ?

Related to I with my mechanical principles home work.

What is mechanical principles homework?

Mechanical principles homework is a type of assignment given in science courses that focuses on understanding and applying the fundamental principles of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to solve problems and analyze systems.

Why is it important to study mechanical principles?

Studying mechanical principles is important because it helps us understand the physical world around us and how things move and interact. This knowledge is crucial for designing and building machines, structures, and other technologies that make our lives easier and safer.

What are some common topics covered in mechanical principles homework?

Some common topics covered in mechanical principles homework include forces, motion, energy, work, power, and momentum. Students may also encounter topics related to rotation, simple machines, and fluid mechanics.

How can I improve my understanding of mechanical principles?

To improve your understanding of mechanical principles, it is important to practice solving problems and applying the concepts learned in class. You can also supplement your learning by watching online videos, participating in study groups, and seeking help from your instructor or tutor.

Are there any real-world applications of mechanical principles?

Yes, there are countless real-world applications of mechanical principles. For example, understanding forces and motion is crucial for designing cars and airplanes, while knowledge of energy and power is essential for developing sustainable energy sources. Mechanical principles also play a role in fields such as robotics, biomechanics, and civil engineering.