I with this electricty problem

• Thread starter psilovethomas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricty
In summary, the conversation involves a question about how to find the current flowing through a circuit with five 40-watt lights. The discussion also touches on the number of electrons needed to generate this current and the possible voltage of the circuit. However, no definitive solution is reached.
psilovethomas
I need help with this electricty problem:(

Homework Statement

At the end of a long day, your instructor finally sits down to write your final examination, after making a cup of coffee he goes into his office, turns on the five, 40-Watt lights, and starts writing.

How much current is flowing through the circuit in your instructor’ office?

How many electrons are moving from the power company into your instructors’ home in order to continually generate the current in his office circuit?

Homework Equations

I can't find a formula to use to find current with just watts given.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, should we suppose the voltage is 120V or 230V (or something else)? Then you can figure out the electricity from the power equation for resistors (the tungsten thread in the lightbulb is essentially a resistor).

so 40W/230V=.179A?

would the .179 be multiplied by 5 because there are 5 lights?

Interesting question, what do you think? Say they are hooked up on individual circuits--answer seems obvious. What about if they were hooked up in series like ole fashioned Xmas tree lights?

EDIT: BTW, unless you're in Europe, odds are the voltage is 120 or 110.

so it is 5* .173?

psilovethomas said:
so it is 5* .173?

sure if you use 230V.

FAQ: I with this electricty problem

1. What causes electricity problems?

Electricity problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as faulty wiring, overloading of circuits, power outages, and damaged electrical appliances.

2. How do I troubleshoot an electricity problem?

To troubleshoot an electricity problem, start by checking if the issue is isolated to one specific area or if it affects the entire building. Then, inspect the electrical panel for any tripped breakers or blown fuses. If the problem persists, it is best to contact a professional electrician.

3. What precautions should I take when dealing with an electricity problem?

When dealing with an electricity problem, it is important to turn off the power to the affected area and avoid touching any exposed wires. It is also recommended to wear protective gear and to seek professional help if the issue is complex.

4. How can I prevent electricity problems?

To prevent electricity problems, it is essential to regularly inspect and maintain electrical systems, avoid overloading circuits, and use surge protectors for sensitive devices. It is also crucial to hire a licensed electrician for any major electrical work.

5. Can I fix an electricity problem on my own?

While some minor electricity problems can be fixed by homeowners, it is generally not recommended to try and fix complex issues without proper knowledge and training. It is safer and more efficient to hire a professional electrician to handle any electricity problems.

Back