I would like to learn about the string theory.

In summary: The theory suggests the existence of superstrings and additional dimensions at a quantum scale, but it is currently not testable. Opinions differ on the validity of the theory, but there is hope that it will become testable in the future. It is a mathematically advanced concept, with resources like a textbook available for those interested in learning more.
Fuinne
Why hello there my fellow science lovers,

I'm some what new to the forums, and I'm loving it here. If this is being posted in the wrong section, I am very sorry. Anyways, I'm aware of the whole idea of the string theory. General relativity governs motion at a macroscale and quantum field theory governs movement at a micro scale, and in order to combine them together into one unifying theory, an equation that describes motion at both a macro scale and micro scale, the string theory was suggested. I was trying to read more and encountered lots of articles about super strings and extra dimensions. I usually read a lot online about stuff like this, in fact, yesterday I spent just about 3 hours in between two of my exams reading about it.

My question is involving the little pieces of the string theory. I want to know what super strings are, and how there can be extra (9 to 10) dimensions hidden at a quantum scale. If someone would generously help me out, that would honestly mean the world to me. I don't have a degree in physics or anything like that but I for sure plan on getting one one day. For now, it's just reading and watching videos about it.

Thank you very much!

Finn

Physics news on Phys.org
String theories so far are mathematical models which propose that underlying the 'standard model' of particle physics there could be still smaller more fundamental entities.
The math requires additional dimensions which cannot be observed in practice at the present time, so it's not a testable theory , even if it does make mathematical sense.
Opinions therefore differ a lot, personally I hope that someday it will become testable, but I don't think that will be soon.

rootone said:
String theories so far are mathematical models which propose that underlying the 'standard model' of particle physics there could be still smaller more fundamental entities.
The math requires additional dimensions which cannot be observed in practice at the present time, so it's not a testable theory , even if it does make mathematical sense.
Opinions therefore differ a lot, personally I hope that someday it will become testable, but I don't think that will be soon.
Isn't it something like if you see a clothles line from a distance and see an ant on it, you're only seeing one line, but in that ant's perspective he's able to move around?

bhobba said:
Its OK to post here - string theory is a quantum theory.

It is however mathematically advanced. The easiest actual textbook I know is the following:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521880327/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Be warned - I have a copy and its not easy going.

Thanks
Bill
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to I would like to learn about the string theory.

1. What is the string theory?

The string theory is a theoretical framework in physics that suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny, vibrating strings. These strings are thought to be the source of all matter and energy in the universe.

2. How does the string theory differ from other theories of physics?

The string theory differs from other theories of physics in that it attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature - gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It also incorporates the principles of both quantum mechanics and general relativity.

3. What evidence supports the string theory?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence that supports the string theory. However, many physicists believe that it is the most promising candidate for a theory of everything, as it has the potential to explain many unanswered questions in physics, such as the nature of gravity and the existence of multiple dimensions.

4. Can the string theory be proven?

As of now, the string theory cannot be proven. It is still a work in progress and requires further research and experimentation. However, some aspects of the theory, such as supersymmetry, have been tested and supported by experimental data.

5. What are the implications of the string theory?

If the string theory is proven to be correct, it would fundamentally change our understanding of the universe. It would also have practical implications, such as the potential for new technologies and advancements in fields like quantum computing and space travel.