IB extended essay title tweaking help need ly

In summary, when choosing a research question for your extended essay, it is important to make it specific, original, and feasible to investigate. Consider specifying the type of engine, incorporating theoretical or experimental aspects, and thinking about the practical implications of your research. Discussing your ideas with experts can also help refine your question.
Hazemm
IB extended essay title tweaking...help need urgently

So right now I'm supposed to have decided my topic for my extended essay(part of the IB diploma), and as you can already assume I decided to do it on a topic in physics, more specifically mechanics. I made a research question (how does the radius and length in a cylinder of a internal combustion engine effect the output of power?), but my physics teacher said that this was a broad topic, and has been overdone already. So i decided to focus my question even further and came up with, The analysis and investigation of the stroke ratio of an engine on the friction generated during engine breaking. Is this research question original or not, and if it isn't any suggestions on an original theoretical or experimental based research question.

When i went to talk to my physics teacher about the first title I chose, he said i needed to target something ie...four wheel drive...etc, and that is why i focused the analysis on engine breaking and stroke ratio. If anyone could help me structure my question, or focus it better, that would be a lot of help...THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to choose a research question that is specific, original, and feasible to investigate. Your current research question, "The analysis and investigation of the stroke ratio of an engine on the friction generated during engine breaking," is a good starting point. However, there are a few ways you can tweak it to make it more focused and original.

First, consider specifying the type of engine you will be studying. For example, you could focus on a specific type of internal combustion engine, such as a four-stroke engine or a diesel engine. This will help narrow down your research and make it more targeted.

Next, think about how you can incorporate a theoretical or experimental aspect to your research question. For instance, you could investigate the effect of different stroke ratios on the theoretical power output of an engine, or you could conduct experiments to measure the actual friction generated during engine braking for different stroke ratios. This will add depth and originality to your research question.

Another suggestion would be to consider the practical applications of your research. How could your findings potentially impact the design or performance of engines? This will add relevance to your research and make it more compelling.

Based on these suggestions, a possible revised research question could be: "An analysis and experimental investigation of the effect of stroke ratio on the friction generated during engine braking in a four-stroke internal combustion engine and its practical implications." This research question is more specific, incorporates both theoretical and experimental aspects, and highlights the potential practical applications of the study.

Ultimately, the key to a successful extended essay is to choose a research question that you are passionate about and can feasibly investigate within the given time frame. I recommend discussing your ideas and potential research questions with your physics teacher and other experts in the field to get feedback and refine your question further. Good luck with your extended essay!

Hi there,

It seems like you are on the right track with your extended essay topic in physics. However, it is important to ensure that your research question is specific, original, and feasible to investigate within the scope of the extended essay.

In regards to your first research question about the effect of radius and length on power output in a cylinder of an internal combustion engine, your teacher is correct in saying that it may be too broad and overdone. It may be helpful to narrow down your focus by choosing a specific type of internal combustion engine or a specific aspect of power output, such as torque or horsepower.

Your second research question about the stroke ratio and friction generated during engine braking is more specific, but it may still be lacking in originality. It is important to make sure that your research question is not just a repetition of previous studies. You could try to add an original element, such as examining the effects of different types of engine oil on friction during engine braking.

In terms of structuring your research question, it may be helpful to follow the "PICO" format - Population, Intervention, Comparison, and Outcome. This will help you clearly define your research focus and make it easier to develop a hypothesis and design your experiment.

For example, your research question could be: "How does the stroke ratio of a four-stroke gasoline engine (population) affect the friction generated during engine braking (intervention) compared to a two-stroke diesel engine (comparison) and what is the resulting impact on overall engine performance (outcome)?"

Overall, it is important to discuss your research question and ideas with your physics teacher and other experts in the field to ensure that it is original, feasible, and well-structured. Good luck with your extended essay!

FAQ: IB extended essay title tweaking help need ly

1. What is an IB extended essay?

An IB extended essay is a research paper that is required for students pursuing the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma. It is an independent research project that allows students to explore a topic of their choice in depth.

2. What is the purpose of tweaking an IB extended essay title?

Tweaking an IB extended essay title involves making small changes to the title in order to make it more focused and specific. The purpose of this is to clearly communicate the topic and scope of the essay to the reader.

3. How do I know if my IB extended essay title needs tweaking?

If your IB extended essay title is too broad or general, it may benefit from some tweaking. Additionally, if your essay has evolved during the research process and the title no longer accurately reflects the content, it may also need some tweaking.

4. Who can help me with tweaking my IB extended essay title?

Your IB extended essay supervisor is the best person to help you with tweaking your title. They are familiar with the requirements and expectations of the IB program and can provide valuable guidance and feedback.

5. What are some tips for tweaking an IB extended essay title?

Some tips for tweaking your IB extended essay title include: using specific and descriptive language, avoiding vague or ambiguous terms, and making sure the title accurately reflects the content of your essay. It can also be helpful to brainstorm with your supervisor or peers for ideas.