IB extended essay topic suitability?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of the IB extended essay in physics. The speaker expresses their readiness to take on the challenge of aiming for an A grade, but their main struggle is coming up with a suitable research question. They suggest studying the effect of temperature on the coefficient of restitution of a squash ball, but realize it may be too simplistic. They propose expanding the topic to include different playing surfaces and comparing the impact of temperature on rebound for each surface. They end with a question to confirm if this idea is suitable.
Loodakid
I have my IB extended essay and i want to do it in physics, now i know how hard it is to get an A on it but I am ready to risk it, my major problem is that its pretty hard to think of a suitable research question. I was thinking of doing it on the effect of temperature on the coefficient of restitution of a squash ball, but that was too simple, so how about if it was about the same topic, but expanded onto different surfaces and compare the gain in rebound you get from temperature on each different playing surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
bump?

FAQ: IB extended essay topic suitability?

1. What makes a good IB extended essay topic?

A good IB extended essay topic should be specific, manageable, and relevant to the chosen subject area. It should also allow for in-depth research and analysis, and offer potential for personal engagement and interest.

2. Is it better to choose a topic that I am familiar with or one that is completely new to me?

It is recommended to choose a topic that you have some prior knowledge or interest in, as this will make the research and writing process more manageable and enjoyable. However, you can also choose a completely new topic as long as you are willing to put in the effort to learn and understand it.

3. Can I choose a topic that is not within my chosen subject area?

Yes, you can choose a topic from any subject area as long as it fits within the guidelines and requirements for the IB extended essay. Keep in mind that you will need to have a strong understanding of the subject and its methodologies in order to succeed.

4. How do I ensure that my topic is suitable for the IB extended essay?

To ensure that your topic is suitable, it is important to consult with your IB coordinator and subject-specific supervisor. They can provide guidance and feedback on your topic and help you determine if it is appropriate for the extended essay.

5. Can I change my topic after it has been approved?

It is possible to change your topic after it has been approved, but it is not recommended. Changing your topic can cause delays and may affect the quality of your essay. If you do need to change your topic, make sure to consult with your supervisor and coordinator first.