(IB18) A box contains 100 cards

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Cards
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the value of k and the median and interquartile range of a data set consisting of 100 elements. It is determined that k = 4 and the median is 15.5, while the interquartile range is 4. The conversation also clarifies that these calculations should be based on the actual data, not the frequencies.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1141

(a) I presume the frequency row has to equal 100
so
\(\displaystyle k=100 - (26 + 10 + 20 + 29 + 11)= 4\)(b)(i) again presume the median is based on frequency and on ordered list
so
median of $4\ 10\ 11 \ 20\ 26\ 29 = \frac{31}{2}$ or $15.5$

(ii) interquartile range? isn't this data list 100 numbers long?
or is $Q_1=10$ and $Q_3=26$ so interquartile range$=26-10=13$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: (IB18) A box contains a 100 cards

For part b), you want to use the data, not the frequencies, in your calculations. To find the median (or $Q_2$) you observe that there is an even number of elements, so you take the arithmetic mean of the 50th and 51st elements.

Now, since there is an even number of elements in each half, you want to take the arithmetic mean of the 25th and 26th elements as $Q_1$ and the arithmetic mean of the 75th and 76th elements as $Q_3$. And then the inter-quartile range is given by:

\(\displaystyle IQR=Q_3-Q_1\)

MarkFL said:
For part b), you want to use the data, not the frequencies, in your calculations. To find the median (or $Q_2$) you observe that there is an even number of elements, so you take the arithmetic mean of the 50th and 51st elements.

Now, since there is an even number of elements in each half, you want to take the arithmetic mean of the 25th and 26th elements as $Q_1$ and the arithmetic mean of the 75th and 76th elements as $Q_3$. And then the inter-quartile range is given by:

\(\displaystyle IQR=Q_3-Q_1\)

I got 5-1=4 IQR

karush said:
I got 5-1=4 IQR

Yes, I got the same. :D

I would first clarify with the person providing the information to ensure that my understanding is correct. Assuming that the frequency row does indeed equal 100, I would then proceed to calculate the value of k as 4.

For part (b), I would also clarify if the data is indeed a list of 100 numbers. If it is not, and the median is based on the frequency and ordered list, then I would calculate the median as 15.5. However, if the data is a list of 100 numbers, then I would calculate the interquartile range as 13, based on the assumption that $Q_1=10$ and $Q_3=26$.

If there is any ambiguity or inconsistency in the information provided, I would communicate this to the person and ask for clarification. As a scientist, it is important to have clear and accurate data in order to make valid conclusions and interpretations.

Related to (IB18) A box contains 100 cards

1. How many cards are in the box?

The box contains 100 cards.

2. What is the purpose of the cards?

The purpose of the cards can vary depending on the context. They could be used for a game, educational purposes, or as a means of communication.

3. Are the cards all the same or do they have different designs?

Without further information, it is impossible to determine if the cards are all the same or have different designs.

4. Can the cards be replaced or are they a limited edition?

Again, without more information it is impossible to determine if the cards can be replaced or if they are a limited edition.

5. What material are the cards made of?

The material of the cards can vary depending on the purpose of the cards. They could be made of paper, plastic, or other materials.