IBP Relations in Feynman integrals

In summary: Your Name]In summary, IBP identities are used to simplify integrals involving Feynman diagrams. The authors of the paper mentioned use an IBP identity to relate a triangle diagram to two bubble diagrams. The resulting equation (4.8) expresses the integral in terms of simpler integrals, which correspond to different bubble diagrams that can be evaluated more easily. Further simplification may have been done using other techniques.
CAF123
Gold Member
I am wondering if anyone has experience in using IBP( Integration by parts) identities in the evaluation of Feynman diagrams via differential equations?

My question is that I can't seem to understand where equation (4.8) on P.8 of this paper: http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/9912329.pdf comes from. They are relating a triangle diagram to two bubble diagrams. I can write the l.h.s of 4.8 as being of the form $$\frac{1}{k^2 (k-p_2)^2(k-q)^4}$$ which in the family of integrals associated to the box diagram is denoted as ##G(1,1,0,2)## where one of the propagators is squared and the other contracted. Then find an IBP using relation $$\int p_2^{\mu} \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial k^{\mu}} \frac{1}{k^2(k-p_2)^2 (k-q)^2} = 0$$ which I think gives rise to the equation $$G(1,1,0,2) = \frac{1}{s+t}\left(G(0,2,0,1) - G(1,0,0,2) - G(2,0,0,1) + G(0,1,0,2\right))$$ But the problem is I now need to reduce the terms on the r.h.s down to simpler diagrams and all attempts so far have gone in the direction of introducing higher exponents.

I don't have high hopes of getting a reply but I just thought I'd ask anyway to see if anyone is familiar with these identities and could help.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

As a scientist familiar with using IBP identities in the evaluation of Feynman diagrams, I may be able to offer some insight into the equation (4.8) on page 8 of the paper you mentioned.

Firstly, it is important to note that IBP identities are a powerful tool in simplifying complicated integrals involving Feynman diagrams. They allow us to express a given integral in terms of simpler integrals, which can then be evaluated more easily.

In the case of the equation (4.8) in the paper, the authors are using the IBP identity $$\int p_2^{\mu} \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial k^{\mu}} \frac{1}{k^2(k-p_2)^2 (k-q)^2} = 0$$ to simplify the integral on the left-hand side, which is denoted as ##G(1,1,0,2)##. This integral corresponds to a triangle diagram, which can be related to two bubble diagrams using the IBP identity.

The equation (4.8) expresses ##G(1,1,0,2)## in terms of simpler integrals, namely ##G(0,2,0,1)##, ##G(1,0,0,2)##, ##G(2,0,0,1)##, and ##G(0,1,0,2)##. These integrals correspond to different bubble diagrams, which can be evaluated more easily.

To further simplify the terms on the right-hand side, the authors may have used other IBP identities or other techniques. Without further information, it is difficult to say exactly how they simplified the terms.

I hope this helps to clarify the equation (4.8) and the use of IBP identities in evaluating Feynman diagrams. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

FAQ: IBP Relations in Feynman integrals

What are IBP relations in Feynman integrals?

IBP (Integration by Parts) relations are a set of mathematical identities used to simplify Feynman integrals, which are mathematical expressions used to calculate the probabilities of particle interactions in quantum field theory.

How are IBP relations used in Feynman integrals?

IBP relations are used to reduce the complexity of Feynman integrals by rewriting them in terms of simpler integrals. This allows for easier calculation and helps to identify the divergences that need to be renormalized.

What is the importance of IBP relations in Feynman integrals?

IBP relations are important because they help to simplify the calculation of Feynman integrals, which are essential for predicting the outcomes of particle interactions in quantum field theory. They also play a crucial role in renormalization, which is necessary to remove infinities from the calculations.

How are IBP relations derived?

IBP relations are derived using integration by parts, a mathematical technique that involves rewriting an integral in terms of a derivative. In the context of Feynman integrals, this involves manipulating the integrand and using the properties of the Feynman propagator.

What are some applications of IBP relations in Feynman integrals?

IBP relations have a wide range of applications in quantum field theory, including in the calculation of scattering amplitudes, cross sections, and decay rates. They are also used in the development of improved perturbative approximations and in the study of the properties of particles and their interactions.