*IBV5 The vectors u, v are given by u = 3i + 5j, v = i – 2j

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the vectors u and v are given by u = 3i + 5j, v = i – 2j. The scalars a and b can be found by setting a = 2 and b = 8 in the equation a(u + v) = 8i + (b – 2)j, which simplifies to u + v = <4,3>. This results in 4a = 8 and 3a = b-2, giving the solution a = 2 and b = 8.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
The vectors $u, v$ are given by $u = 3i + 5j, v = i – 2j$
Find scalars $a, b$ such that $a(u + v) = 8i + (b – 2)j$

$(u+v)=4i+3j$
in order to get the $8i$ let $a=2$
then $2(4i+3j)=8i+6j$
in order to get $6j$ let $b=8$ then $(8-2)j=6j$
so $a=2$ and $b=8$

I am not sure of the precise definition of what scalar means here...at least with vectors

Mathematics news on Phys.org
vectors u,v are given by u=3i+5j,v=i–2j
Find scalars a,b such that a(u+v)=8i+(b–2)j

u + v = <4,3>

Then <4a,3a> = <8,(b-2)>

4a = 8

3a = b-2

karush said:
I am not sure of the precise definition of what scalar means here...at least with vectors
The definition is the same with everything; basically a number. Whether it's restricted to real or complex numbers is usually clear from context.

tkhunny said:
vectors u,v are given by u=3i+5j,v=i–2j
Find scalars a,b such that a(u+v)=8i+(b–2)j

u + v = <4,3>

Then <4a,3a> = <8,(b-2)>

4a = 8

3a = b-2

yes, that looks like a much better way to solve it. especially if it gets a lot more complicated.

, scalars are simply the coefficients that multiply the unit vectors. So, in this case, a scalar would be any real number that can be multiplied to a vector to produce another vector. In this problem, we are given the vectors $u$ and $v$ and we need to find scalars $a$ and $b$ such that when we multiply $a(u+v)$, we get the vector $8i+(b-2)j$.

To find these scalars, we can first simplify the expression $a(u+v)$ by distributing the scalar $a$ to each term in the parentheses. This gives us $au+av$. Then, we can plug in the given values for $u$ and $v$ to get $a(3i+5j)+a(i-2j)$.

To get the desired vector $8i+(b-2)j$, we need the $i$ component to be $8i$. This means we need to have $a(3i)+a(i)=8i$. This can be achieved if $a=2$. Similarly, for the $j$ component to be $(b-2)j$, we need to have $a(5j)+a(-2j)=(b-2)j$. This can be achieved if $b=8$.

Therefore, the scalars $a=2$ and $b=8$ satisfy the given condition and the final expression becomes $2(u+v)=8i+6j$, which matches the desired vector.

Related to *IBV5 The vectors u, v are given by u = 3i + 5j, v = i – 2j

1. What are the components of vector u?

The components of vector u are 3i and 5j, representing the magnitude and direction in the x and y directions respectively.

2. How is vector v different from vector u?

Vector v has components of i and -2j, which are different in magnitude and direction from vector u. Vector v also has a different resultant vector when added to vector u.

3. What does the notation "3i + 5j" mean?

The notation "3i + 5j" represents a vector with a magnitude of 3 in the x direction (i) and a magnitude of 5 in the y direction (j).

4. Can vector u and vector v be combined to form a new vector?

Yes, vector u and vector v can be added together to form a new vector. The resultant vector would have components of 4i and 3j.

5. How can the magnitude of vector u be calculated?

The magnitude of vector u can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the components (sqrt(3^2 + 5^2) = sqrt(34)).