Ice cube sliding off metal roof

In summary: In that case, I would use conservation of energy again, but this time to find the velocity at B. Then, use the fact that the distance between A and B is 1/2 (c+b) to find the time it takes to get from A to B.
Carpetfizz

Homework Statement

hmXa2CY.png

Homework Equations

$$mgh = \frac{1}{2}v^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm working on a). I tried using conservation of energy to get v.

$$mg(c+b) = \frac{1}{2}v^2$$

$$v = \sqrt{2g(c+b)}$$

After this I'm stuck. In order to get distance from knowing the velocity, we must know time which is question b). My friend said its possible to solve this problem using forces. Since there are no angles given in this problem, I'm assuming we convert sin and cos quantities into their equivalent ratios which we know? Even then, we will have the net force, but we can't get distance from acceleration without knowing the time.k

Physics news on Phys.org
Carpetfizz said:
##mg(c+b)=\frac 1 2 v^2##​

You say you tried to use conservation of energy to get v, but I feel I should point out that your equation is wrong. If you started at rest and define zero potential at the ground, then it should be ##mgh=\frac 1 2 mv^2##, in which case the m will cancel from both sides (hence why it says your answer will be independent of mass) giving you ##gh=\frac 1 2 v^2##.

Edit: Nvm, your answer looks fine, it must be just a typo.

So, you have your velocity. You also have the direction of that velocity, you just don't realize it. Try forming a triangle out of b and d.

TJGilb said:
So, you have your velocity. You also have the direction of that velocity, you just don't realize it. Try forming a triangle out of b and d.
@Carpetfizz has calculated the velocity at point C, not point B.

Carpetfizz, the velocity at C is not interesting. Treat the problem in two stages. First find the state of things at point B: velocity and time to get there.

haruspex said:
@Carpetfizz has calculated the velocity at point C, not point B.

Carpetfizz, the velocity at C is not interesting. Treat the problem in two stages. First find the state of things at point B: velocity and time to get there.

Good catch, I didn't notice that.

FAQ: Ice cube sliding off metal roof

1. How does the ice cube slide off a metal roof?

The ice cube slides off a metal roof due to a combination of gravity and the slippery surface of the metal. When the ice cube is in contact with the metal roof, the weight of the ice cube causes it to slide down the roof due to gravity. Additionally, the metal surface reduces the friction between the ice cube and the roof, allowing it to slide more easily.

2. Why does the ice cube slide off faster on a metal roof compared to other surfaces?

The metal surface of a roof is typically smoother and more slippery compared to other surfaces, such as shingles or tiles. This is because metal is a harder and more uniform material, creating less friction for the ice cube to overcome. Additionally, the angle of the roof may also play a role in the speed at which the ice cube slides off, as steeper angles will accelerate the movement of the ice cube due to gravity.

3. Can the ice cube get stuck on the metal roof?

In some cases, the ice cube may get stuck on the metal roof if there is not enough slope or if there are small imperfections on the surface that create more friction. However, the weight of the ice cube will eventually cause it to slide off, especially as the temperature rises and the ice begins to melt.

4. What factors affect the speed at which the ice cube slides off the metal roof?

The speed at which the ice cube slides off the metal roof depends on several factors, such as the angle and slope of the roof, the temperature and melting rate of the ice, and any obstacles or imperfections on the surface of the roof. The weight and size of the ice cube may also play a role in its sliding speed.

5. Is it safe to have ice cubes sliding off a metal roof?

In most cases, it is safe to have ice cubes sliding off a metal roof. However, it is important to be cautious if you are standing near the edge of the roof or if there are people or objects below that could potentially be hit by the falling ice. It is also important to regularly check and clear any ice buildup on your roof to prevent potential damage or injuries.

Back