Idea for optimising solar collection

• Thread starter RandomRed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea Solar
In summary: The magnifying glasses each have a fiber optic, and can be spread out, then all fiber optics come together,Its like having a few very efficient solar panels rather then a mess of weak ones.each color of light has a corresponding solar panel, divide and conquer...like a solar panel for UV would not be very good at collecting red.I was thinking if there actively cooled and super efficient, you can use a single solar panel(expensive) and a large amount of plastic magnifying glasses and fiber optics(cheap)to net at a higher efficiency and lower cost.:)
RandomRed
Hello, looking for help designing building/testing and implementing an idea,

I have been thinking about using cheap flat panel magnifying lenses on a hinge and pivot, that track the sun, and then having a fiber optic at the focal point, and then having multiple fiber optics terminate at the same location, and have them hit a prism, splitting into the spectrum.

After the light is split into its component colors, I would like to test different panels for each color. Once panels are found for each spectra, an ideal panel could be grown.

ps. a side benefit would be that the heat would be concentrated to a small area for thermionic cells or solar hot water

roughed out a sketch in gimp

Attachments

• BigIdea101.jpg
    BigIdea101.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
The magnifying glasses each have a fiber optic, and can be spread out, then all fiber optics come together,

its like having a few very efficient solar panels rather then a mess of weak ones.
each color of light has a corresponding solar panel, divide and conquer...
like a solar panel for UV would not be very good at collecting red.

I was thinking if there actively cooled and super efficient, you can use a single solar panel(expensive) and a large amount of plastic magnifying glasses and fiber optics(cheap)
to net at a higher efficiency and lower cost.

:)

RandomRed said:
The magnifying glasses each have a fiber optic, and can be spread out, then all fiber optics come together,

its like having a few very efficient solar panels rather then a mess of weak ones.
each color of light has a corresponding solar panel, divide and conquer...
like a solar panel for UV would not be very good at collecting red.

I was thinking if there actively cooled and super efficient, you can use a single solar panel(expensive) and a large amount of plastic magnifying glasses and fiber optics(cheap)
to net at a higher efficiency and lower cost.

:)

Do they actually make solar panels for each colour of light? Are they more effective than one for white light? (I don't know, it's a genuine question.)

Again, your magnifier / fibre optic setup is over complicated. You could use the mirrors to focus the light on a prism much simpler.

all solar panels have an absorption band, and no one panel absorbs 100% of the spectrum, there are many organisms that make use of a narrow band of light with VERY high efficiencies.

some panels are better with colors, in order to lower cost, and use of toxins, a very high efficiency small panel just makes more sense then a large volume of inefficient ones.also, about the fiber optics, its hard to get the light focused on a single target with light coming in from multiple angles, with this set-up you can always add another collector as long as the target is not overheating.(via active cooling with thermionic cooling or diamond semiconductors that can take a high volume of heat and conduct away the heat)

another plus is that local flying creatures are not spontaneously combusted...

RandomRed said:
all solar panels have an absorption band, and no one panel absorbs 100% of the spectrum, there are many organisms that make use of a narrow band of light with VERY high efficiencies.

Don't confuse organisms with technology. Not the same thing. At best out panels are currently 30% efficient.
also, about the fiber optics, its hard to get the light focused on a single target with light coming in from multiple angles,

Multiple angles? There's only the one sun last time I checked.

Did you look at the array in the picture I showed? 360 degree coverage.
another plus is that local flying creatures are not spontaneously combusted...

Is that currently a problem?

So the theoretical limit to a photo cells efficiency is 86%, but by absorbing the waste heat you can go beyond that...

here is the source article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multijunction_photovoltaic_cell

my idea is to simplify the cell by feeding different cells different parts of the rainbow:)

Unfortunately, a prism generally only works under collimated radiation. Otherwise each color will not be properly seperated.

Therefore, I recommend you remove the prism. You can buy triple-junction cells (e.g. from Azur Space, or Cyrium) with efficiencies above 40% under concentrated radiation. A 1cm*1cm square cell is about $10. These cells essentially use the full solar spectrum, but do not require spectral splitting.

You could also consider removing the fibre optic. Without the prism, there really is no use for it, other than the cell could remain fixed. But I think it would be easier just to build everything into a module, and then track the module.

Hope this helps.

the idea was to use small, high temperature single color cells, so you can use mostly plastic dishes/mirrors+ fiber optics, and focus all of the light on a small area, without flambeing any avian/insect wildlife... and then using the waste heat from the cell...

The Rainbow Concentrator by Sol Solution (www.sol-solution.net) does all this with one lens. It splits and concentrates the spectrum by taking advantage of chromatic aberration that you get on the outer part of a magnifying glass. This uses fewer parts and material compared to presented idea. It is cheap to build and can easily track the sun. I believe the reason you don’t already see it is that there is currently not a company producing the lateral single junction cells although ASU is currently working on it (http://nanophotonics.asu.edu/paper/Caselli_OE2011.pdf).

Related to Idea for optimising solar collection

1. How can solar collection be optimized?

There are several ways to optimize solar collection. One is by using high-efficiency solar panels that can convert a larger percentage of sunlight into electricity. Another way is by strategically placing the solar panels in areas with maximum sunlight exposure. Additionally, using solar tracking systems and regular maintenance can also improve solar collection efficiency.

2. Is it possible to store excess solar energy?

Yes, it is possible to store excess solar energy in batteries or through grid-tied systems. Batteries can store solar energy for later use, while grid-tied systems allow you to sell excess energy back to the grid.

3. Can solar collection work in cloudy or rainy weather?

Yes, solar panels can still generate electricity on cloudy or rainy days, although not as efficiently as on sunny days. However, advancements in solar technology, such as the use of thin-film solar panels, have improved their efficiency in low-light conditions.

4. Are there any government incentives for implementing solar collection?

Yes, many governments offer incentives such as tax credits, rebates, and grants for individuals or businesses that install solar collection systems. These incentives can help offset the initial cost of implementing solar energy and make it more financially feasible.

5. What are the environmental benefits of using solar energy?

Solar energy is a renewable and clean source of energy that does not produce greenhouse gas emissions or air pollutants. By utilizing solar energy, we can reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and contribute to mitigating the effects of climate change.