Ideal conditions in which circuit analysis is done

In summary, when analyzing an ideal electrical system, factors such as air friction, friction between materials, stray capacitance, wire inductance, and transmission line theory for short wire lengths are all ignored. Additionally, temperature can affect the behavior of electrical components and must be considered in circuit design. However, ideal components are modeled with only one or two parameters, allowing for simplified algebraic analysis based on the lumped matter discipline. Frequency must also be taken into account, as the length of the circuit should be less than the operating wavelength of the signal.
student-engineer
What are the ideal conditions in which circuit analysis or analysis of an electrical system is done?I know that the air friction,friction between materials is ignored in ideal systems, such as for ohms law applications.What else is ignored in analysis of ideal electrical systems?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Stray capacitance, wire inductance, transmission line theory for short wire lengths,...

Likes student-engineer
Svein said:
Stray capacitance, wire inductance, transmission line theory for short wire lengths,...
Can you provide a link to some relevant pdf,research paper or any blog/article regarding this?I was googling about it but could not find anything relevant.

No, sorry. All those factors are dependent on the physical layout of the circuit and therefore they cannot easily be simulated. I remember a competent analog engineer changing the layout a couple of millimeters, ordering a new PCB, measuring the results and adjusting the layout once more. I think he went through four or five iterations before he was satisfied.

Likes student-engineer
Svein said:
No, sorry. All those factors are dependent on the physical layout of the circuit and therefore they cannot easily be simulated. I remember a competent analog engineer changing the layout a couple of millimeters, ordering a new PCB, measuring the results and adjusting the layout once more. I think he went through four or five iterations before he was satisfied.
I am not that much competent though :smile:.I wanted to know just for the sake of information as I think I should be just knowing about these too.As no system is truly linear,the non-ideal practical conditions lead to non-linear real time behavior of practical linear systems.Thank you anyways for your contribution to this thread. :smile:

Electrical components whether a resistor, capacitor, inductor, or solid state device like a transistor all exhibit a combination of resistance, capacitance, and inductance. Also every components has some tolerance. So for example a 1kohm resistor may have a 5% tolerance. so that means the resistor could be anywhere between 950ohm and 1050ohms. This is why on older radios you see things like trim potentiometers (variable resistor) to help tune the radio. today we have resistors which much tighter tolerances as much as 0.1%. So a 1kohm 0.1% resistor could be 999ohm or 1001ohm. The same goes for capacitors and inductors. Other things to consider is that wire's are also a combination of resistance, capacitance, and inductance. Sometimes you have to pay attention to this when dealing with signals or anything periodic. Temperature also plays a role as it can cause variations in resistance, capacitance and inductance. So when doing electrical design the datasheet for the component is usually referenced to account for change in temperature so there are no undesired effects.

For example:
you have a 3.3v device. the data sheet says it can be operated from 3.0 to 3.6V but you have a 5V supply. You can convert the 5V to 3.3V by using an adjustable linear voltage regulator. To adjust the voltage you use a voltage divider (two resistors in series). you want to make sure that given temperature and resistor tolerances that you voltage will not drop below 3.0V or go higher than 3.6V or else you risk your device shutting down or blowing up.

Likes student-engineer and berkeman
student-engineer said:
What are the ideal conditions in which circuit analysis or analysis of an electrical system is done?I know that the air friction,friction between materials is ignored in ideal systems, such as for ohms law applications.What else is ignored in analysis of ideal electrical systems?
Well I certainly ignore air friction in most of my SPICE simulations o0), but everything else is modeled. You can't get good agreement between simulation and the real circuit behaviors without including parasitics and tolerances. Are you familiar with how Monte Carlo simulations help to model tolerances in real world circuits?

Likes student-engineer
I would think more about IDEAL components, and not ideal conditions.

A simple way to think of an ideal component, is that it has only ONE or TWO parameters... A resistor only ohms, Capacitor only capacitance. A transformer - "ideally" only a ratio, but inductances could be needed for many analysis.

Other than temperature, even in more detailed analysis do we consider the "conditions".

Likes Ronald Channing and student-engineer
Windadct said:
I would think more about IDEAL components, and not ideal conditions.

A simple way to think of an ideal component, is that it has only ONE or TWO parameters... A resistor only ohms, Capacitor only capacitance. A transformer - "ideally" only a ratio, but inductances could be needed for many analysis.
Other than temperature, even in more detailed analysis do we consider the "conditions".

excellent answer.

Ideal elements and other elements used in basic circuit analysis follow the lumped matter discipline. These allow people like me who don't know a thing about maxwells equations to use them in algebraic fashion. Elements are "Discrete" and "lumped" among other things..3 simplifications/assumptions which he explains in the video below.
In this answer, Anant Agarwal (of MIT) explains below what "lumped matter discipline" is:

In his book:
9788131200896-us.jpg

includes a derivation of KVL, KCL from maxwells equations.

There was also another constraint, that is the length of the circuit is less than the operating wavelength of the signal. and thus frequency also matters as wavelength is inversely related with frequency.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumped_element_model

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes unix101os and student-engineer

Related to Ideal conditions in which circuit analysis is done

1. What are the ideal conditions for circuit analysis?

The ideal conditions for circuit analysis include having a stable power supply, accurate and precise measuring instruments, and a noise-free environment. It is also important to have a well-designed and properly functioning circuit to ensure accurate results.

2. Why is a stable power supply important for circuit analysis?

A stable power supply is important for circuit analysis because fluctuations in voltage or current can affect the behavior of the circuit and lead to inaccurate results. It is recommended to use a power supply with low ripple and noise levels to minimize any potential disruptions.

3. What role do measuring instruments play in circuit analysis?

Measuring instruments, such as multimeters and oscilloscopes, are essential for circuit analysis as they allow for the measurement of voltage, current, and other parameters. It is important to use accurate and well-calibrated instruments to ensure reliable results.

4. How does a noisy environment affect circuit analysis?

A noisy environment can introduce unwanted signals and interference which can disrupt the behavior of the circuit and lead to inaccurate measurements. It is best to perform circuit analysis in a quiet and controlled environment to minimize the effects of noise.

5. Is it necessary to have a well-designed circuit for accurate analysis?

Yes, a well-designed and properly functioning circuit is necessary for accurate analysis. A poorly designed circuit can introduce errors and distortions in the results, making it difficult to accurately analyze the circuit's behavior. It is important to follow good design principles and use quality components for reliable circuit analysis.