Ideal Gas Equation: Deriving pV=Nm<c>^2/3

In summary, for an ideal gas, the equation pV = Nm<c>2/3 holds true for any container of any shape. This can be derived by considering the behavior of molecules inside an imaginary cube and applying the assumptions required for the kinetic theory of gases. To apply the equation to any size container, the terms must be adjusted accordingly. It would also be helpful to define the terms used in the original post, as not all authors use them in the same way.
PFuser1232
I need a detailed derivation of why pV = [itex]\frac{Nm<c>^{2}}{3}[/itex]for an ideal gas using the example of a gas molecule placed in a cube-shaped container, the derivation in my book isn't that clear.[itex]^{}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to google for "derivation of ideal gas equation"?

Or if that doesn't help, maybe you could tell us about the derivation in your book (or better yet, give us a link to it if you find it somewhere online) and describe to us what you find unclear about it. Then maybe someone can get you un-stuck.

Try:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_theory

The shape of the container is irrelevant, but I think you need more than one molecule.

Last edited:
klimatos said:
Try:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_theory

The shape of the container is irrelevant, but I think you need more than one molecule.

So, is the equation valid for any container of any shape?

Yes. It is easier to derive for a simple container, but turns out it works for every container.

Note that you can always select an imaginary cube INSIDE gas, and assume - as everything around is identical to the gas inside the selected volume - that for every molecule leaving the imaginary cube, one identical molecule enters the cube. This is equivalent to the molecules bouncing on the cube walls, which is part of assumptions required when deriving the equation. And as every dV inside of the volume of gas behaves the same way, equation holds also for whole V.

MohammedRady97 said:
So, is the equation valid for any container of any shape?

Yes, although your original post uses V which I assume is the volume of one mole at the specified pressuire and N which I assume is Avogadro's number. To apply to any size container, that specification has to be changed.

Since N/V = n, where n is the number density of molecules per unit volume, the equation becomes
P = nm<c>2/3. This would apply to any shape and size of macroscopic container.

It would help a lot if you would define the terms used in the OP. Not all authors use the same common terms in the same way. For instance, the term c is often used to designate the speed of light in a vacuum, and p is often used to designate momentum.

klimatos said:
Yes, although your original post uses V which I assume is the volume of one mole at the specified pressuire and N which I assume is Avogadro's number. To apply to any size container, that specification has to be changed.

Since N/V = n, where n is the number density of molecules per unit volume, the equation becomes
P = nm<c>2/3. This would apply to any shape and size of macroscopic container.

It would help a lot if you would define the terms used in the OP. Not all authors use the same common terms in the same way. For instance, the term c is often used to designate the speed of light in a vacuum, and p is often used to designate momentum.

Actually N is the number of molecules, N_A is avogadro's constant, p is pressure, n is the amount in moles, and V is the total volume of the container.

Related to Ideal Gas Equation: Deriving pV=Nm<c>^2/3

What is the ideal gas equation?

The ideal gas equation, also known as the ideal gas law, is a fundamental law in thermodynamics that describes the relationship between the pressure (p), volume (V), temperature (T), and number of moles (n) of an ideal gas. It is written as pV = nRT, where R is the gas constant.

What is the derivation of the ideal gas equation?

The ideal gas equation can be derived from the kinetic theory of gases, which assumes that gases are made up of particles in constant random motion. By analyzing the collisions of these particles with the walls of a container, it can be shown that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the number of moles and the square of the average speed of the gas particles.

Why is the ideal gas equation important?

The ideal gas equation is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of ideal gases under different conditions. It is also used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of gas-powered engines and in the production of industrial gases.

What are the assumptions made in the ideal gas equation?

The ideal gas equation is based on several assumptions, including that the gas particles have negligible volume and do not interact with each other, and that the collisions between particles and the walls of the container are perfectly elastic. These assumptions are not always true for real gases, but the ideal gas equation still provides a good approximation in many cases.

How is the ideal gas equation related to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas equation is a derivation of the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the absolute temperature of an ideal gas. The ideal gas law is a special case of the ideal gas equation when the number of moles and the gas constant are held constant.