Ideal Gas Law Problem - Environmental Physics

In summary: The pressure of the system (initial at 4 bar) is the same as the pressure of the atmosphere (1 bar). The relationship between initial P1V1 and final P2V2 is n1+n2.
lachy

Homework Statement

1. Consider ideal gas in a rigid cylinder of 2 litres, at pressure of 3 Bar. The gas is connected through a thin capillary to a free expanding bag, which contains ideal gas at pressure 1Bar and volume of 1 litre. A valve in the capillary initially prevents the gases to mix. If the valve is open, calculate the volume of the bag, in thermal equilibrium with the environment. The surrounding atmosphere is at a pressure of 1Bar and temperature T. Neglect the volume of the capillary and valve, as well as the mass and elasticity of the bag. The heat capacity of the surrounding atmosphere is much larger than the heat capacity of the gas in the cylinder and bag. Note: in solving this problem, use the fact that the number of atoms of the gas in the bag and cylinder does not change after opening the valve, i.e. N1+N2 = N1’ +N2’ .Every step of the solution should be clearly given.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

P1*V1/T1 = P2 * V2/T2

??

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't really attempted as I don't know where to start as the lack of temperature given deters me.

Could someone please give me a push in the right direction?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are to assume that the system is in thermal equilibrium with the environment. This means that temperature does not change. Start by finding the relative number of moles of the gas in each part (cylinder and bag) at the beginning and then at the end.

[tex]n1 = P1V1/RT[/tex]

[tex]n2 = P2V2/RT[/tex]

From that find the ratio n1/n2

Then work out the expression for n1+n2 after they have reached equilibrium

AM

Could you explain in greater detail how to do this question, anyone?

lachy said:
Could you explain in greater detail how to do this question, anyone?
Show us what you have done. I have given you hints to start. Have you found n1/n2? n1 + n2? T is the same in both the cylinder and the bag and all processes remain at the same temperature T.

AM

will the bag expand so that the pressure of the system (initially at 4bar) equal that of the surrounding atmosphere (1bar)?

andrew mason said:
[tex]n1 = p1v1/rt[/tex]

[tex]n2 = p2v2/rt[/tex]

am

n1 = 4.35*1025

n2 = 7.25*1024

P3 (V1+V2) = (N1+N2)KBT

however, this equation assumes that both volumes are constant?

so assuming that the bag does expand until the system is in equilibrium with the atmosphere (1 Bar), for the whole system:

P1V1=P2V2

P0V0 = PtVt

Vt = (P0V0)/Pt

Vt=(4x105 Pa * 3*10-3 m3) / 1*105 Pa

= 1.2*10-2 m3

= 12*10-3 m3

=12 L

for the bag after expanding:

bag volume = system volume - cylinder volume

V = 12L - 2L
= 10L

im not sure if this is correct, acutally I am fairly unconfident with it, however hopefully you can tell me if I've gone in the wrong direction?

anyone?

Even though the temperature is constant, you do not know it ---> I do believe you cannot find the number of molecules or the number of moles as both of these are dependant upon temperature.

i think as temperature does not affect the system, you can place it at 1, effectively removing its value to any equation

Charles’ Law describes the volume of a fixed quantity of gas maintained at constant pressure is directly proportional to its temperature. When the valve has not been released the bag has a fixed volume so I don't think you can just set the temperature to 1 (essentially cancelling it) as this would change the volume since it is not rigid...I think...

lachy said:
Charles’ Law describes the volume of a fixed quantity of gas maintained at constant pressure is directly proportional to its temperature. When the valve has not been released the bag has a fixed volume so I don't think you can just set the temperature to 1 (essentially cancelling it) as this would change the volume since it is not rigid...I think...
Think about the problem. What is the final pressure when the two volumes of gas mix? (hint:what pressure limits the expansion of the bag?) What is the final pressure in the cylinder? What is the relationship between final P, final V and n1+n2? Can you then relate PfVf to initial values for P1V1 and P2V2? If so, you can easily find Vf.

AM

Last edited:
Yeah I have done this (I sent you a pm before?). I was just explaining.

sorry andrew, is there a chance you could not be so cryptic?

jimmyjack said:
sorry andrew, is there a chance you could not be so cryptic?
What do you find cryptic in my last post? If you can figure out the final pressure, you will have solved the problem. What determines the final pressure (ie. what stops the bag from getting bigger and bigger)?

AM

Related to Ideal Gas Law Problem - Environmental Physics

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is often written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

2. How is the ideal gas law used in environmental physics?

The ideal gas law is used in environmental physics to model the behavior of gases in various environmental conditions. It can be used to calculate the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of gases in the atmosphere, as well as their impact on the environment. It is also used in the study of air pollution and the effects of greenhouse gases on the Earth's climate.

3. What are some limitations of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law assumes that gases are composed of particles with negligible volume and that there are no intermolecular forces between them. This is not always the case, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. Additionally, the ideal gas law does not take into account the non-ideal behavior of real gases, such as the Van der Waals forces between particles.

4. How can the ideal gas law be manipulated to solve for different variables?

The ideal gas law can be manipulated using algebraic equations to solve for different variables. For example, to solve for pressure, the equation can be rearranged to P = nRT/V, while to solve for temperature, the equation can be rearranged to T = PV/nR. These manipulations are useful in solving ideal gas law problems in environmental physics.

5. Can the ideal gas law be applied to all gases?

No, the ideal gas law can only be applied to ideal gases, which are gases that follow the assumptions of the ideal gas law. Real gases, such as those with strong intermolecular forces or non-negligible volumes, do not behave ideally and therefore cannot be accurately described by the ideal gas law.