Ideal gas law problem : part 3

In summary, The problem asks to solve the barometric equation and show that the density also follows a similar equation. This is done by using the ideal gas law to express the density in terms of pressure, and then differentiating the equation. It is also noted that the ideal gas law states that pressure and density are proportional.
pentazoid

Homework Statement

Assuming that the temperature of the atmosphere is independent of height, solve the barometric equation to obtain the pressure as a function of height: P(z)=P(0)exp(-mgz/kT)
Show that the density obeys a similar equation.

Homework Equations

dP/dz=-mgP/kT

rho*g=dP/dz?

The Attempt at a Solution

First part it is

dP/P=-mgdz/kT ==>P=P(0)exp(-mgz/kT)

rho=m/V, V=nkT/P => rho= m*P/nkT

From the first part of this problem , rho=m*(P(0)exp(-mgz/kT))/nkT. now I can diffentiate rho with respect to z?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ideal gas law says:

[tex]\frac{p}{\rho}=\frac{RT}{M}[/tex]

Where M is the molar mass. Hence p and rho are proportional.

Now try to express rho with p ;)

Thaakisfox said:
The ideal gas law says:

[tex]\frac{p}{\rho}=\frac{RT}{M}[/tex]

Where M is the molar mass. Hence p and rho are proportional.

Now try to express rho with p ;)

I thought the ideal gas law says that :

nkT=PV or PV=nRT==> PV/n=RT

It just makes sense to me now to differentiate P with respect to z. rho=m*(P(0)exp(-mgz/kT))/nkT, P being P(0)exp(-mgz/kT).

FAQ: Ideal gas law problem : part 3

1. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used to solve gas problems?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It is used to solve gas problems by providing a way to calculate any of these variables when the others are known.

2. What are the units used in the ideal gas law equation?

The units used in the ideal gas law equation are pressure (P) in atmospheres (atm), volume (V) in liters (L), temperature (T) in Kelvin (K), and number of moles (n) in moles (mol). It is important to make sure all units are consistent when solving gas problems using the ideal gas law.

3. How do I know if I should use the ideal gas law to solve a gas problem?

The ideal gas law is typically used to solve problems involving gases at low pressures and high temperatures. If the gas is under extreme conditions or the volume is very small, the ideal gas law may not be accurate and a different approach should be used.

4. Can the ideal gas law be used for all types of gases?

No, the ideal gas law is only applicable for ideal gases, which are gases that have no intermolecular forces and occupy no volume. Real gases deviate from ideal behavior at high pressures and low temperatures, so the ideal gas law may not accurately predict their behavior.

5. How do I convert between different units in the ideal gas law equation?

To convert between units in the ideal gas law equation, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from Celsius to Kelvin, you can add 273.15 to the temperature in Celsius. It is important to make sure all units are consistent in the equation to get an accurate solution.

Back