Ideal Gas Question Please do help I'm befuddled

It's not clear where you got that value from.In summary, there are two vessels, X and Y, connected by a tube with negligible volume. Both vessels have a pressure of p and a temperature of T. When vessel Y is heated, its temperature increases to 2T. Using Dalton's Law, the pressure in each vessel is assumed to be 0.5p, but this does not result in the final total pressure of 1.33p as expected. A better approach would be to use the combined gas law, PV/T = constant, which relates pressure, volume, and temperature. It is unclear where the value of 0.5p for the pressure in each vessel came from.
arsey1009
There are 2 identical vessels X and Y and they are connected like this by a tube of negligible volume:

X==========Y

they have a pressure of p and same temperature of T

Y is then heated, increasing it's temperature from T to 2T.

what is the final total pressure in terms of p?

I used Dalton's Law, so I assumed that the pressure in each vessel was actually 0.5p. I then used the equation

PfVf = PxVx + PyVy

but I could never get the answer which is 1.33p! ):

Could someone please help? Thank you very much! (:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think Dalton's law is the best approach. Dalton's law deals with mixtures of different gasses and the partial pressures of each component. I think a better approach would be to use the combined gas law, PV/T = constant. This law relates pressure, volume, and temperature, which Dalton's Law does not.

Also, why is the pressure in each vessel 0.5p? The question says that it's p.

Related to Ideal Gas Question Please do help I'm befuddled

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical model that describes the behavior of a gas at low pressure and high temperature. It assumes that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other, making it easier to study and understand gas behavior.

2. How is the ideal gas law used?

The ideal gas law, PV=nRT, is used to relate the pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), and temperature (T) of an ideal gas. It can be used to calculate any one of these variables if the others are known, or to predict the behavior of a gas under different conditions.

3. What are the assumptions of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law assumes that the gas particles have no volume, do not interact with each other, and are in constant random motion. It also assumes that the gas is at a low pressure and high temperature, and that the gas particles obey the laws of thermodynamics.

4. How does an ideal gas differ from a real gas?

An ideal gas differs from a real gas because real gases have volume and do interact with each other. Real gases also deviate from ideal gas behavior at high pressures and low temperatures.

5. What are some applications of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law has many practical applications, including predicting the behavior of gases in industrial processes, such as in chemical reactions and in the production of energy. It is also used in weather forecasting and in studying the behavior of gases in outer space.