Ideals and Ker(f) Solution for (a), (b), and (c)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Joe20
  • Start date
In summary: May I ask how do we know that the coset has no...inverse?The coset $\begin{pmatrix}2&0\\0&2\end{pmatrix} + I$ has no inverse because it is the identity matrix.
Joe20
I have attached my solution for part (a), (b) and (c). I am not sure if part (a), (b) are correct. However for part (c), the question did not define the output of the function so I am not sure if I can do it as such as I do not know how to continue. Therefore need verification on all the 3 parts. Thanks!

Attachments

• A4Q4.png
    A4Q4.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 87
  • A4ii.jpg
    A4ii.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 80
  • A4i.jpg
    A4i.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your proofs for parts (a) and (b) look good. Your solution to (c), however, does not make sense. To prove (c), define an explicit map $f : R \to \Bbb Z$, and show that it’s a surjective ring homomorphism with kernel $I$. The result then follows from the first isomorphism theorem for rings.

Consider $f : R\to \Bbb Z$ given by $f(A) = A_{12}$, where $A_{12}$ is the $(1,2)$-entry of $A$. Show that $f$ has the desired properties.

Euge said:
Your proofs for parts (a) and (b) look good. Your solution to (c), however, does not make sense. To prove (c), define an explicit map $f : R \to \Bbb Z$, and show that it’s a surjective ring homomorphism with kernel $I$. The result then follows from the first isomorphism theorem for rings.

Consider $f : R\to \Bbb Z$ given by $f(A) = A_{12}$, where $A_{12}$ is the $(1,2)$-entry of $A$. Show that $f$ has the desired properties.
Hi, what does the 1,2 entry means? Am I right to say it is incorrect to prove surjective and homomophism from what I have thus far?

Alexis87 said:
Hi, what does the 1,2 entry means? Am I right to say it is incorrect to prove surjective and homomophism from what I have thus far?
The $(1,2)$-entry of $A$ means the entry in the first row and second column of $A$.

Hi, I have included an e.g. of showing of f:R -> R (real no) being defined by the function to be a. In my question above, it was not being defined. So am I going to define it myself? How am I going to define it in order to prove for surjective homorphism? [it stated as f: R -> Z (integer)]

Attachments

• e.g.png
    e.g.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 70
No, you want $f: R \to \Bbb Z$ given by $f\left[\begin{pmatrix}a&b\\0&a\end{pmatrix}\right] = a$. That's what I meant earlier, but had a typo (it was supposed to read $f(A) = A_{11}$, not $f(A) = A_{12}$).

Euge said:
No, you want $f: R \to \Bbb Z$ given by $f\left[\begin{pmatrix}a&b\\0&a\end{pmatrix}\right] = a$. That's what I meant earlier, but had a typo (it was supposed to read $f(A) = A_{11}$, not $f(A) = A_{12}$).
I have revised it to as attached. Is it correct now? [Note: I only show the proof till surjective homomorphism, I shall continue once this is correct].

I am still somehow confused with f:R→Z given by f((a b)¦(0 a ))=a.(why can't it be f((a b)¦(0 a ))=b)?

Attachments

• Revised.jpg
    Revised.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 66
You have proven correctly that $f$ is a ring homomorphism, but you have not proved correctly that $f$ is surjective. Elements of $R$ are matrices of the form $\begin{pmatrix}a&b\\0&a\end{pmatrix}$, so matrices like $\begin{pmatrix}a&0\\0&0\end{pmatrix}$ where $a\neq 0$ do not belong to $R$.

The reason you can't make $f : R\to \Bbb Z$ be $f\left[\begin{pmatrix}a&0\\0&a\end{pmatrix}\right] = a$ is because not all elements of $R$ are of the form $\begin{pmatrix}a&0\\0&a\end{pmatrix}$. The matrix $\begin{pmatrix}1&1\\0&1\end{pmatrix}$, for example, belongs to $R$. Look back at the definition of $R$.

Euge said:
You have proven correctly that $f$ is a ring homomorphism, but you have not proved correctly that $f$ is surjective. Elements of $R$ are matrices of the form $\begin{pmatrix}a&b\\0&a\end{pmatrix}$, so matrices like $\begin{pmatrix}a&0\\0&0\end{pmatrix}$ where $a\neq 0$ do not belong to $R$.

The reason you can't make $f : R\to \Bbb Z$ be $f\left[\begin{pmatrix}a&0\\0&a\end{pmatrix}\right] = a$ is because not all elements of $R$ are of the form $\begin{pmatrix}a&0\\0&a\end{pmatrix}$. The matrix $\begin{pmatrix}1&1\\0&1\end{pmatrix}$, for example, belongs to $R$. Look back at the definition of $R$.
Thanks. Btw, I am not sure how to see if R/I is a field or not. May need help.

Since $R/I$ is ring isomorphic to $\Bbb Z$, one can just say that since $\Bbb Z$ is not a field, $R/I$ is not a field. Of course, proving part (d) does not require use of the isomorphism. It is enough to show that the coset $\begin{pmatrix}2&0\\0&2\end{pmatrix} + I$ has no inverse.

Euge said:
Since $R/I$ is ring isomorphic to $\Bbb Z$, one can just say that since $\Bbb Z$ is not a field, $R/I$ is not a field. Of course, proving part (d) does not require use of the isomorphism. It is enough to show that the coset $\begin{pmatrix}2&0\\0&2\end{pmatrix} + I$ has no inverse.
May I ask how do we know that the coset has no inverse?

It follows from the fact that there is no integer solution to the equation $2a = 1$. By the way, just to be clear, by “inverse” I meant multiplicative inverse, not additive inverse.

Euge said:
It follows from the fact that there is no integer solution to the equation $2a = 1$. By the way, just to be clear, by “inverse” I meant multiplicative inverse, not additive inverse.
Thank you so much! I got it now.

Related to Ideals and Ker(f) Solution for (a), (b), and (c)

What is the definition of "Ideals and ker (f)"?

Ideals and ker (f) is a concept in abstract algebra that refers to the sets of elements that satisfy certain properties within a group or ring. It is closely related to the kernel of a homomorphism, which is the set of elements that are mapped to the identity element.

How is "Ideals and ker (f)" used in mathematics?

Ideals and ker (f) are used to study the structure and properties of groups and rings. They help us understand the behavior of elements and operations within these algebraic structures, and can also be used to prove theorems and solve problems.

What is the difference between an ideal and a kernel?

An ideal is a subset of a ring that is closed under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring, while a kernel is the set of elements that are mapped to the identity element by a homomorphism. In other words, an ideal is a subset of a ring, while a kernel is a subset of a homomorphism.

What are some practical applications of "Ideals and ker (f)"?

Ideals and ker (f) have many applications in mathematics and other fields. For example, they are used in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt messages, in coding theory to correct errors in data transmission, and in physics to study symmetries and conservation laws.

Can "Ideals and ker (f)" be extended to other algebraic structures?

Yes, the concepts of ideals and kernels can be extended to other algebraic structures, such as modules and vector spaces. In these cases, the properties of closure under addition and multiplication are replaced with closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

Back