Ideas for discussions for a math club

• Thread starter AlfredPyo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, ideas for discussions for a math club could include exploring different branches of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, and calculus, through interactive activities and games. Other potential topics could include real-world applications of math, mathematical problem-solving strategies, and fun math challenges. Additionally, inviting guest speakers and organizing field trips to math-related events or locations can also be engaging for members. Overall, the goal of these discussions would be to foster a deeper understanding and appreciation for math among club members.
AlfredPyo
So I am making a math club for the school year 2014-2015.
I've taught myself AP calculus AB, BC, differential equations, linear algebra, and some discrete mathematics. I'm a freshman and I don't know how to teach effectively.

So I'll be the president of the club, and teach the members those topics.
Basically, my school isn't really mathish. I want at least 12 members to join.

I want to know what mathematics competitions there are in silicon valley.
I also want to know specifically what topics people study for competitive geometry and algebra tests. I want them to learn and have fun.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
AlfredPyo said:
So I am making a math club for the school year 2014-2015.
I've taught myself AP calculus AB, BC, differential equations, linear algebra, and some discrete mathematics. I'm a freshman and I don't know how to teach effectively.

So I'll be the president of the club, and teach the members those topics.
Basically, my school isn't really mathish. I want at least 12 members to join.

I also want to know specifically what topics people study for competitive geometry and algebra tests. I want them to learn and have fun.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the PF.

Check out the "Related Discussions" thread list at the bottom of this page -- that should give you a good start! :-)

Welcome to Physics Forums and congrats on learning all that material!

In your math club, you can:
-fill it with
-topics can range from history, philosophy, and math education to the discussion and study of particular areas of math
-run problem solving sessions for both remedial and advanced areas of mathematics
-cover basic and advanced subjects like high school algebra and geometry to college level courses such as calculus, statistics, analysis, abstract algebra, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Number Theory, Topology, Combinatorics, Probability, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Statistics, Remedial Math, Mathematics Education etc (I do not mean going deeply into them, maybe just what they are about and so on)
-why people enjoy math

You can also search this online and find lots of idea. As berkeman mentioned, just look at the related discussions below or use the search button. Good luck with your math club.

AlfredPyo said:

What does Silicon Valley have to do with anything? Are you located nearby? If so, the premier regional competition is BAMO. However there are many others. What age and math level students do you expect to join the club?

I strongly suggest you find a math circle near you and talk to one of the directors. That should help quite a bit with local issues.

IGU said:
What does Silicon Valley have to do with anything? Are you located nearby? If so, the premier regional competition is BAMO. However there are many others. What age and math level students do you expect to join the club?

I strongly suggest you find a math circle near you and talk to one of the directors. That should help quite a bit with local issues.

Ok, so do you know any mathematics competitions given nationwide/international to certain areas? Like the google science fair but purely for high school mathematics.

AlfredPyo said:
Ok, so do you know any mathematics competitions given nationwide/international to certain areas? Like the google science fair but purely for high school mathematics.

The "many others" like I provided has pretty much everything out there. Did you look at that?

Related to Ideas for discussions for a math club

1. What are some engaging topics for discussions in a math club?

Some engaging topics for discussions in a math club could include exploring different number systems, discussing the history of mathematics, or exploring real-world applications of math concepts.

2. How can we encourage participation and involvement in math club discussions?

To encourage participation and involvement, you can try incorporating hands-on activities, group problem solving, and allowing members to suggest discussion topics. It may also be helpful to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for all members.

3. Are there any online resources or tools that can aid in math club discussions?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools that can be used in math club discussions. Some examples include online math games, virtual simulations, and interactive graphs and charts.

4. How can we make math club discussions more interactive and engaging?

To make math club discussions more interactive and engaging, you can incorporate group activities, problem solving challenges, and debates on controversial math topics. You can also invite guest speakers or organize field trips to math-related events or locations.

5. How can we ensure that math club discussions are accessible to members of all math levels?

To ensure accessibility, it may be helpful to have a mix of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level discussions. Additionally, you can provide resources or handouts for members to review before or after the discussion, and offer opportunities for members to ask questions and receive clarification during the discussion.