Ideas for expanding into an environmental project?

In summary: I'll definitely take that into consideration. In summary, an undergraduate with a degree in math is looking for a job in the environmental consulting industry. He has worked on two projects thus far and is interested in finding a project that matches his interests.
Jufro
Hey PF,

I recently graduated with a B.A. in math. During my undergrad career I worked on several projects gathering data and developing computation models for them.

Now that I have finished my undergrad track I wanted to jump into the workforce before thinking about other options like grad school.

Is anyone aware of companies or organizations (large and small) who would be looking to hire someone in an "analyst" sort of position, specifically a program dealing with environmental issues?

It isn't that I am looking for a 20 year career to make $100,000 a year. I would just like to find a project which I can delve into, gain experience and possibly start networking to a larger pool of people.

With little luck I have spent my summer looking for a job and now I figure why not ask the forums.

Thanks for your time in reading this.

-TN

Physics news on Phys.org
There are, in my experience, a lot of private and semi-private companies specializing in contract-based scientific consulting. I know of at least two that specialize in environmental topics (both being German there's not much point naming them, I guess). Every larger research project I know of includes at least one partner for scientific data analysis, which may be a university, a public research institute or a private company/consultancy. If you are willing to put a bit of effort into finding a job you could read up on environmental projects, try to identify the project partners responsible for the data analysis and see if they hire (or ask them - "I've read your report on project X and find your company interesting" is not the worst basis for applying for a job).

I'm not sure what "environmental" is supposed to mean exactly (and neither are you, I guess). If smart grids and photovoltaic is interesting for you, here's a job offer from Fraunhofer USA I happened to find: job offer

Well, I have worked on two projects thus far, using microbial populations and fluctuations as an indicator for how "healthy" local streams and rivers are and generating maps evaluating urban and suburban streets for their bike friendliness. So, I guess by environmental I was referring more in the direction of urban planning but I don't really mean to narrow my focus just yet (or maybe I should).

But I really like your suggestion of looking at specific publications that have been put out and using them to find out which parties are responsible for what I am trying to do.

Thanks Timo

Related to Ideas for expanding into an environmental project?

1. What are some potential ideas for expanding into an environmental project?

Some potential ideas for expanding into an environmental project could include creating a recycling program, implementing energy-saving initiatives, promoting sustainable transportation options, organizing community clean-up events, and partnering with local conservation organizations.

2. How can I determine which environmental project would be most impactful?

To determine which environmental project would be most impactful, you could conduct research on the current environmental issues in your area and identify the ones that are most pressing. You could also consult with experts or community members to gather their input and prioritize accordingly.

3. How can I secure funding for an environmental project?

Securing funding for an environmental project can be done through various means such as applying for grants, seeking sponsorships from businesses or organizations, crowdfunding, or partnering with government agencies. It may also be beneficial to create a detailed project proposal outlining the goals, objectives, and budget of the project.

4. How can I ensure the success of an environmental project?

To ensure the success of an environmental project, it is important to have a clear and achievable goal, a well-developed plan, and a dedicated team. Regular monitoring and evaluation of the project's progress can also help identify any potential issues and allow for adjustments to be made if needed.

5. How can I involve the local community in an environmental project?

Involving the local community in an environmental project can be done through various ways such as hosting informational sessions, organizing volunteer opportunities, collaborating with community organizations, and seeking input and feedback from community members. It is crucial to engage and involve the community to create a sense of ownership and support for the project.