Ideas for making a Physics Demonstration?

In summary, the conversation was about ideas for a physics demonstration in a machine shop with a budget of $600-$1000. The person was looking for suggestions such as Van De Graaf generators, inverted pendulums, and other demonstrations that are not too easy and can be used to showcase a topic in physics. They also mentioned being interested in using LabVIEW and someone suggested using cow magnets and an aluminum tube to demonstrate Eddy currents. Another idea was to build a spectrometer from a Pringles can and an old CD-ROM.
csnsc14320
For my lab class we have to make some sort of physics demonstration in our machine shop with a budget of ~$600-$1000. I was wondering if anyone on here had some suggestions as to some cool/fun things to make?

Things along the lines of Van De Graaf generators, inverted pendulums, etc. can be made (anything that isn't too easy and can be used to demonstrate some topic of physics)

Also, we were taught to use LabVIEW last quarter so if that opens up any other possibilities, I'm interested in hearing some ideas!

Physics news on Phys.org
We have an excellent demo of Eddy currents: 2 cow magnets (one with the pieces opposing to have a near-zero net field) and a close-fitting tube of aluminum. One magnet falls through normally, the other takes about 10x as long.

An idea I just had today--I want to attempt building a cheap spectrometer from a Pringles can (using an old CD-ROM as a diffraction grating).

Related to Ideas for making a Physics Demonstration?

What are some general ideas for making a Physics Demonstration?

1. Use everyday objects: One idea for making a Physics Demonstration is to use objects that are commonly found in daily life, such as a slinky, a ball, or even a balloon. This allows the audience to easily relate to the concepts being demonstrated.

2. Incorporate interactive elements: Adding interactive elements, such as having the audience participate in the demonstration, can make the experience more engaging and memorable.

3. Demonstrate a concept with multiple examples: Showing a concept through multiple examples can help reinforce understanding and make the demonstration more interesting.

4. Use visual aids: Visual aids, such as diagrams or videos, can be helpful in explaining complex concepts and making the demonstration more visually appealing.

5. Incorporate hands-on activities: Giving the audience the opportunity to directly interact with the materials and perform their own experiments can make the demonstration more interactive and fun.