Ideas for QM undergrad research project

In summary, the conversation is about an undergraduate student seeking ideas for a research project in quantum physics. They have read books on the subject and are interested in working on problems involving the WKB method, variational method, and other methods. The other person suggests electronic structure problems in computational chemistry and physics as a potential project that utilizes variational methods and is suitable for an undergraduate with a moderate background in quantum mechanics.
orthodoxx
Hi everyone!

I am an undergraduate student interested in quantum physics. I want to do a project in quantum but do not know how to come up with a good idea to start with. I have read the book Zettili and most of the book Cohn-Tannoudji. so I think I am able to work on a good idea. Any idea would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of project should that be? Is it a research project? Is it experimental or theoretical? Quantum theory is a very broad field. It's hard to guess what you are supposed to do.

vanhees71 said:
What kind of project should that be? Is it a research project? Is it experimental or theoretical? Quantum theory is a very broad field. It's hard to guess what you are supposed to do.

I think what I can do right now is just theory. and yes it is a research project or more precisely an undergraduate research project. Also I like to work on problems needed to be solved using the WKB method, variational method or other methods. so things like these I can work on. What do you offer to me? how to pick out a problem and how to start the work?

Last edited:
orthodoxx said:
and yes it is a research project or more precisely an undergraduate research project. Also I like to work on problems needed to be solved using the WKB method, variational method or other methods
Electronic structure problems in computational chemistry and physics rely on variational methods quite heavily and are fairly approachable for an undergraduate with moderate quantum mechanics background.

FAQ: Ideas for QM undergrad research project

1. What are some popular research topics in quantum mechanics for undergraduate students?

Some popular research topics in quantum mechanics for undergraduate students include quantum computing, quantum cryptography, quantum teleportation, quantum entanglement, and quantum simulation.

2. How can I come up with an original research idea in quantum mechanics?

To come up with an original research idea in quantum mechanics, you can start by exploring recent advancements and current challenges in the field. You can also discuss with your professors and peers, attend seminars and conferences, and read research papers to get inspiration.

3. Are there any experimental research projects in quantum mechanics for undergraduate students?

Yes, there are many experimental research projects in quantum mechanics for undergraduate students. Some examples include building a simple quantum computer using superconducting qubits, designing and conducting experiments to study quantum entanglement, and developing new methods for quantum state tomography.

4. Can I do a theoretical research project in quantum mechanics without a strong background in math?

While having a strong background in math is beneficial for theoretical research projects in quantum mechanics, it is not always necessary. You can choose a project that aligns with your current knowledge and develop your math skills as you work on the project. Many universities also offer resources and support for students to strengthen their math skills.

5. How long does it typically take to complete an undergraduate research project in quantum mechanics?

The duration of an undergraduate research project in quantum mechanics can vary depending on the specific topic, the resources available, and the level of complexity. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to complete a research project as an undergraduate student.