Identical Fourier coefficients of continuous ##f,\varphi\Rightarrow f=\varphi##

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof by Kolmogorov and Fomin that shows a periodic function with a Lebesgue square-integrable derivative has a Fourier series that uniformly converges to a continuous function with the same Fourier coefficients as the original function. The question posed is why the continuity of the two functions guarantees that they are equal. Some notes from MIT are provided as a potential explanation.
DavideGenoa
Hi, friends! Let ##f:[a,b]\to\mathbb{C}## be an http://librarum.org/book/10022/173 periodic function and let its derivative be Lebesgue square-integrable ##f'\in L^2[a,b]##. I have read a proof (p. 413 here) by Kolmogorov and Fomin of the fact that its Fourier series uniformly converges to a continuous function ##\varphi## whose Fourier coefficients are the same as the Fourier coefficients of ##f##.

I read in the same proof that, since ##\varphi## has the same Fourier coefficients of ##f##, because of the continuity of the two functions we get ##f=\varphi##. I do not understand why continuity guarantees the equality. Could anybody explain that?

I ##\infty##-ly thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that the answer is there: ##(f-\varphi)(x)=0## almost everywhere, if I correctly understand...
Thank you so much!

Related to Identical Fourier coefficients of continuous ##f,\varphi\Rightarrow f=\varphi##

1. What are Fourier coefficients?

Fourier coefficients are a set of complex numbers that represent the contribution of different frequencies to a given function. They are used in Fourier series to represent a periodic function as a sum of trigonometric functions.

2. What does it mean for two functions to have identical Fourier coefficients?

If two functions have identical Fourier coefficients, it means that they have the same contribution of different frequencies. This does not necessarily mean that the functions are equal, but it does suggest that they have similar properties.

3. How does the continuity of a function affect its Fourier coefficients?

If a function is continuous, its Fourier coefficients will be finite. This is because a continuous function can be approximated by a finite number of trigonometric functions with well-defined coefficients.

4. What is the significance of the statement "Identical Fourier coefficients of continuous ##f,\varphi\Rightarrow f=\varphi##"?

This statement is known as the uniqueness theorem for Fourier series. It states that if two continuous functions have the same Fourier coefficients, then they must be equal. This is a powerful tool in the analysis of periodic functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of the uniqueness theorem for Fourier series?

The uniqueness theorem has many applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used in signal processing, image and sound compression, and in solving differential equations. It is also an important tool in the study of periodic phenomena in various fields.