How Can I Identify Ions in a Mixture During a Practical Experiment?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a practical experiment to identify anions and cations in a solution containing Pb, Ba, Ca, Cu, Fe2, Fe3, CO3, Cl, PO, SO, and NO3 ions. The speaker was looking for solubility information for these compounds and asked for advice on avoiding errors and improving the reliability of the results. They were directed to search for solubility product and solubility rules online. Chemical calculators were also suggested as a useful resource.
chopstick
I am prepare for a practical experiment,
this is a practical experiment aim to identify the anions and cations in the solution,
and those ions are choosed from Pb, Ba, Ca, Cu,Fe2, Fe3 and CO3, Cl, PO, SO, NO3.
where can i find the solubility in water for any ionic compound that can be formed from above pair from internet, even i found it, how do i known whether it is soluble or insoluble. i have found some solubility in 'revelant solubility', i don't know what it means.

so far i have been told that the flame test is not available, so it mainly focused on the observation for the precipitate it formed. what could be the erorrs or something should be aware of to avoid errors, and what could be done to improve the reliability of the result.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Search on the solubility product for all of the binary compounds you can make between the anions and cations on that list. Assume the metals are cations and the nonmetals and polyatomics are anions.

You may also google for solubility rules - while simplified, they can be sufficient for your task.

Chemical calculators at

those information are very useful, thank you.

Related to How Can I Identify Ions in a Mixture During a Practical Experiment?

1. How do you identify ions in a mixture?

There are several methods for identifying ions in a mixture, including flame tests, precipitation reactions, and spectroscopy. Flame tests involve heating the mixture and observing the color of the flame, which is characteristic of certain ions. Precipitation reactions involve adding a specific reagent to the mixture, causing a visible reaction that can identify the presence of certain ions. Spectroscopy involves using instruments to measure the absorbance or emission of light by the mixture, which can be used to identify specific ions based on their unique spectra.

2. What equipment is needed for identifying ions in a mixture?

The equipment needed may vary depending on the method being used, but some common tools include a Bunsen burner for flame tests, test tubes and droppers for precipitation reactions, and spectrophotometers for spectroscopy. Other equipment that may be useful includes beakers, flasks, and stirring rods.

3. Can ions in a mixture be identified without using chemicals?

Yes, there are some methods for identifying ions in a mixture that do not involve the use of chemicals. For example, spectroscopy does not require any chemicals, as it relies on measuring the absorbance or emission of light. However, some methods, such as flame tests and precipitation reactions, do require the use of specific reagents to identify ions.

4. What are some common ions found in mixtures?

Some common ions found in mixtures include sodium (Na+), potassium (K+), calcium (Ca2+), chloride (Cl-), sulfate (SO42-), and nitrate (NO3-). These ions are often found in the form of salts, such as sodium chloride (NaCl) and calcium sulfate (CaSO4).

5. What are the limitations of identifying ions in a mixture?

There are several limitations to identifying ions in a mixture. Some methods, such as flame tests and precipitation reactions, may only identify certain types of ions and may not be able to distinguish between similar ions. Spectroscopy can be a more accurate method, but it requires expensive equipment and may not be accessible to everyone. Additionally, some mixtures may contain a large number of ions, making it difficult to identify all of them accurately.