Identifying BBravais Lattice with vectors Given

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the identification of a Bravais lattice given the primitive basis vectors of a lattice area. The conversation includes visualizing the lattice vectors, comparing them to a table of properties, and determining the angles between the vectors. The conversation also provides a hint to use a mathematical operation between two vectors to find the angles.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Given that the primitive basis vectors of a lattice area (a/2)(I+J),(a/2)(j+k), (a/2)(k+i), where I j and k are the usual three unit vectors along Cartesian coordinates, what is the bravais lattice?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So just drawing the three vectors given gives the obvious. The first is on the z-origin and makes a 45 degree angel between the x and y axis's. The second vector is on the x-origin and makes a 45 degree angel between the y and z azis. The third vector is on the y-origin and makes a 45 degree angel between the z and x axis. How do I use these three lines to identify the type of bravais lattice?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like you have a good idea of how to visualize the lattice vectors. That's good, although I'm not sure about your terminology. I don't know what you mean by "vector is on the x-origin"... It seems like you mean "vector is perpendicular to the x-axis". OK, anyway, you have visualized them. So, do you have a table of the properties of the different Bravais lattices? you need this so you can compare the properties of your lattice vectors to the lattice vectors of the various Bravais lattices.

BruceW said:
It seems like you have a good idea of how to visualize the lattice vectors. That's good, although I'm not sure about your terminology. I don't know what you mean by "vector is on the x-origin"... It seems like you mean "vector is perpendicular to the x-axis". OK, anyway, you have visualized them. So, do you have a table of the properties of the different Bravais lattices? you need this so you can compare the properties of your lattice vectors to the lattice vectors of the various Bravais lattices.

Cool, yeah I have a table of different properties. It looks like A = B = C but I'm having trouble figuring out the angles between each vector... any tips?

yep, I agree, the length of each side is the same. And you are told that it is primitive lattice. So now there are only a few possible options. And yes, the next thing to do is work out the angles. If you can visualize it very well in your head, then you could work out the relationship between the angles just by thinking of it. But maybe this is a bit tricky. So, otherwise, how would you work out the angle between two vectors? And then use this method to find the three angles.

hint: think of a mathematical operation between two vectors.

The given vectors form a primitive basis for a lattice, meaning that they are the smallest set of vectors that can be used to generate the entire lattice. This implies that the lattice is a primitive lattice, meaning that the basis vectors are not repeated or duplicated to form the lattice points.

To identify the type of Bravais lattice, we need to consider the symmetry of the lattice. In this case, we can see that the lattice has a 45 degree rotational symmetry about its origin, as each of the basis vectors are rotated by 45 degrees from the previous one. This suggests that the lattice is a tetragonal lattice, specifically a primitive tetragonal lattice, as the basis vectors are not repeated or duplicated.

We can also consider the lattice parameters, which are the lengths of the basis vectors. In this case, all three basis vectors have the same length of a/2, indicating that the lattice is cubic. However, as the basis vectors are not parallel to the Cartesian axes, it is not a conventional cubic lattice. Instead, it is a body-centered tetragonal lattice, where the basis vectors are rotated by 45 degrees from the Cartesian axes.

In summary, the given vectors form a primitive body-centered tetragonal lattice, with a lattice parameter of a/2.

Related to Identifying BBravais Lattice with vectors Given

1. What is a BBravais lattice and why is it important in scientific research?

A BBravais lattice is a mathematical representation of the repeating pattern of atoms or molecules in a crystal. It is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the physical and chemical properties of materials, which can have a significant impact on various industries such as electronics, pharmaceuticals, and materials engineering.

2. How do you identify a BBravais lattice using vectors?

To identify a BBravais lattice using vectors, you need to determine the lattice parameters, which include the length of the unit cell edges and the angles between them. Then, using these parameters, you can construct a vector diagram to represent the lattice and compare it to the known BBravais lattices to determine the type.

3. What are the different types of BBravais lattices?

There are 14 different types of BBravais lattices, which are categorized into seven crystal systems: cubic, tetragonal, orthorhombic, rhombohedral, hexagonal, monoclinic, and triclinic. Each type has a unique arrangement of atoms or molecules within the unit cell.

4. Are there any limitations to identifying BBravais lattices with vectors?

Yes, there are some limitations to using vectors to identify BBravais lattices. In some cases, the lattice parameters may be difficult to measure accurately, and there may be errors in the vector construction, resulting in an incorrect identification. It is also important to note that some materials may have more complex structures that cannot be represented by a BBravais lattice.

5. Can software or computer programs be used to identify BBravais lattices?

Yes, there are software and computer programs available that can help identify BBravais lattices using vector analysis. These programs use algorithms to compare the lattice parameters and vector diagrams to known BBravais lattices, making the identification process more efficient and accurate.