Identifying File Types with the file Command

• Thread starter messiah166
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about trying to reverse engineer a program that ends in .oct and determining if it is an Octave file. Suggestions are given to try opening it in MATLAB or using a command like hexdump or file to view its contents and identify the file type. It is noted that some files may have "magic" at the beginning and the extension may not be important.
messiah166
Are these octave files? I have a program that ends in .oct that I am trying to reverse engineer, but I have no experience with .oct at all. If so, would MATLAB be the program to use to read the program?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't think anyone can divine this based on the information. If you can't figure out to how open it I doubt you're going to have much success trying to reverse engineer whatever it is.

Try it in MATLAB and see what happens.

First of all - try to open it with a notepad. If it is a program file, chances are it is just a text file with a different extension. If it is a binary file - notepad will just refuse to read it.

If you're on Linux or some variant thereof you could use the hexdump command to view the contents and determine what you have.

Also, most variants of UNIX, particularly Linux, have the file command, with broad capabilities to identify files based on what is in them. Not by extension.
Try the file command
Code:
file  [your filename goes here]
It will tell you if it is an octave file. Many proprietary files, especially for opensource programs, have "magic" at the beginning of the file ex:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
so the extension (in the example it could be: .sh, .shl, .bash) does not really matter, except to humans. The OS or the program knows to pretty much ignore the extension and check "magic" first.

It can usually identify source code file for common languages.

Solaris and its descendants have a magic.h file to implement this for example.

Likes Borek and jedishrfu

FAQ: Identifying File Types with the file Command

What is a .oct extension?

A .oct extension is a file extension that is commonly associated with the Octave programming language. It is used to store code and data in Octave, a high-level programming language for numerical computations and data analysis.

What programs can open .oct files?

Octave is the primary program that can open .oct files. However, some other programs, such as GNU Octave, MATLAB, and Scilab, may also be able to open and use these files.

How do I convert an .oct file to a different file format?

It is not possible to directly convert an .oct file to a different file format. However, you can save the code and data in a different format, such as a text file, by using the appropriate commands in Octave.

Can .oct files contain viruses?

Like any other file type, .oct files can potentially contain viruses if they have been infected. It is always important to be cautious when downloading and opening files from unknown sources.

Are .oct files cross-platform compatible?

Yes, .oct files are cross-platform compatible, meaning they can be opened and used on different operating systems, such as Windows, Mac, and Linux. However, some features or functions may differ slightly between platforms.

Back