Identifying type of field extension

In summary, the conversation discusses the algebraic, finite, simple, and separable properties of the field extension Q[S], where S is the set of all numbers 2^(1/n) for n in the natural numbers. It is determined that Q[S] is algebraic because every element of S is a root of the polynomial x^n-2. It is also concluded that Q[S] is not finite because it is an infinite dimensional vector space over Q. The simplicity of Q[S] is also questioned, but it is not fully determined. Lastly, the concept of separability is discussed, with the suggestion that it may be related to the characteristic of Q.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let [ S] = {2^(1/n) | for all n in the natural numbers}, is Q[ S] algebraic? finite? simple? separable?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it is algebraic because every element of [ S] will be a root of x^n-2, and every element of Q is obviously algebraic over Q[X] and therefore Q[ S] will be algebraic.

I believe it is not finite because Q[ S] will be an infinite dimensional vector space over Q with basis {2^(1/2),2^(1/3),..., } up to infinity

I believe it is not simple because S is a whole set of linearly independent elements.

I'm not really sure about separable. I'm having a hard time with this partly because I can't think of a polynomial for which Q[ S] is the splitting field of, some polynomial of infinite degree surely?
But yeah, if anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Let [ S] = {2^(1/n) | for all n in the natural numbers}, is Q[ S] algebraic? finite? simple? separable?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it is algebraic because every element of [ S] will be a root of x^n-2, and every element of Q is obviously algebraic over Q[X] and therefore Q[ S] will be algebraic.

I believe it is not finite because Q[ S] will be an infinite dimensional vector space over Q with basis {2^(1/2),2^(1/3),..., } up to infinity

I believe it is not simple because S is a whole set of linearly independent elements.

I'm not really sure about separable. I'm having a hard time with this partly because I can't think of a polynomial for which Q[ S] is the splitting field of, some polynomial of infinite degree surely?
But yeah, if anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.
You already claimed that it is not finite. Can it be an extension of a single polynomial of finite degree? Polynomials of infinite degree don't exist and formal series are of no help here. However, this doesn't answer the question about separability. For this we need to know what a separable field extension is. Can you define it without referring to a single polynomial?

Likes PsychonautQQ
Isn't there a theorem that a field ##F## can have an inseparable extension only if its characteristic is nonzero? If that's correct (I'm a bit sketchy on that part of Galois theory) then you can think about what the characteristic of ##\mathbb Q## is.

EDIT: I didn't see that Fresh had posted while I was mulling over this. Have a go at his suggestions first.

Likes PsychonautQQ

Related to Identifying type of field extension

1. What is a field extension?

A field extension is a mathematical concept that involves extending a field (a set of numbers with operations like addition and multiplication) by adding new elements to it. This allows for the creation of larger, more complex fields.

2. How do you identify the type of field extension?

The type of field extension can be identified by looking at the characteristics of the new elements that have been added. These characteristics, such as algebraic or transcendental, determine the type of field extension.

3. What is an algebraic field extension?

An algebraic field extension is one where the new elements added to the field can be expressed as roots of polynomial equations with coefficients from the original field. In other words, the new elements are algebraic numbers.

4. What is a transcendental field extension?

A transcendental field extension is one where the new elements added to the field cannot be expressed as roots of polynomial equations with coefficients from the original field. In other words, the new elements are transcendental numbers.

5. How is the type of field extension used in science?

The type of field extension is used in various areas of science, including mathematics, physics, and chemistry. It allows for the study of more complex and abstract structures, and has applications in fields such as number theory, group theory, and algebraic geometry.