Identities between exponential and logarithmic functions?

In summary, the conversation discussed the identities between exponential and logarithmic functions, particularly the relationship between {e^x} and {ln(x)} as inverses. The person was looking for a way to substitute {1/ln(x)} with an exponential function to solve an integral, but it was determined that the integral is not solvable using elementary functions and a series solution would be needed. The idea of using complex numbers was also brought up, but it was concluded that it would not make a difference in solving the integral.
romsofia
Hello! I was wondering if they're any identities between exponential and logarithmic functions? Maybe identities isn't the right word, but what I'm talking about is something like euler's formula. Other than than [tex]{e^x}[/tex] and [tex]{ln(x)}[/tex] are inverses, if that counts.

Any help is very much appreciative!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maybe identities isn't the right word,...
Let f=exp(x) and g=ln(x)
Of course there are basic relationships :
x = ln(f) = exp(g)
ln(exp(x)) = exp(ln(x))

JJacquelin said:
Let f=exp(x) and g=ln(x)
Of course there are basic relationships :
x = ln(f) = exp(g)
ln(exp(x)) = exp(ln(x))

AKA inverses, as I said other than that. Thanks for the help though.

Well, since these inverses are the definition of the logarithm, it follows that any other identity can be derived from those. So I'm not sure what kind of identities you want?? It would help us if you told us what you are looking for and why...

micromass said:
Well, since these inverses are the definition of the logarithm, it follows that any other identity can be derived from those. So I'm not sure what kind of identities you want?? It would help us if you told us what you are looking for and why...
I'm looking for a way to substitute [tex]{1/ln(x)}[/tex] with an exponential function to help solve an integral (the integral, I've asked about it here before, is [tex]\int sin(x)/ln(x)\,dx[/tex] sorry, don't know how to do fractions within integrals in latex!). Only substitution I can think of is [tex]{1/ln(x)=\log_x e}[/tex]. However, that won't help since it's still a logarithmic function!

romsofia said:
I'm looking for a way to substitute [tex]{1/ln(x)}[/tex] with an exponential function to help solve an integral (the integral, I've asked about it here before, is [tex]\int sin(x)/ln(x)\,dx[/tex] sorry, don't know how to do fractions within integrals in latex!). Only substitution I can think of is [tex]{1/ln(x)=\log_x e}[/tex]. However, that won't help since it's still a logarithmic function!

The integral (right click to see how I did the fraction)

[tex]\int{\frac{\sin(x)}{ln(x)}dx}[/tex]

is not solvable using elementary functions, so you won't be able to solve it. The best thing to do is to find a series solution, which is also not easy.

micromass said:
The integral (right click to see how I did the fraction)

[tex]\int{\frac{\sin(x)}{ln(x)}dx}[/tex]

is not solvable using elementary functions, so you won't be able to solve it. The best thing to do is to find a series solution, which is also not easy.
Thanks for showing on how to do fractions in integrals
Well, I was thinking if we were to go to the complex plane for the problem, then maybe we could solve it? Since we can make the substitution [tex]{sin(x)=1/2i(e^{-ix}-e^{ix})}[/tex] However, I haven't had much exposure to complex numbers so I'm not really sure if it would make a difference if we were to work in the complex plane! However, I'm still lost on any exponential functions that we would be able to substitute for [tex]{1/ln(x)}[/tex]

romsofia said:
Thanks for showing on how to do fractions in integrals
Well, I was thinking if we were to go to the complex plane for the problem, then maybe we could solve it? Since we can make the substitution [tex]{sin(x)=1/2i(e^{-ix}-e^{ix})}[/tex] However, I haven't had much exposure to complex numbers so I'm not really sure if it would make a difference if we were to work in the complex plane! However, I'm still lost on any exponential functions that we would be able to substitute for [tex]{1/ln(x)}[/tex]

Going to the complex numbers wouldn't make any difference. Mathematica uses an algorithm that decides 100% if there is a solution, and if it says that there isn't, then there isn't (even when working with complex numbers).

micromass said:
Going to the complex numbers wouldn't make any difference. Mathematica uses an algorithm that decides 100% if there is a solution, and if it says that there isn't, then there isn't (even when working with complex numbers).

Ahhh, okay thanks for all the help once again micromass :D!

Related to Identities between exponential and logarithmic functions?

What is the relationship between exponential and logarithmic functions?

The relationship between exponential and logarithmic functions is that they are inverse functions of each other. This means that they "undo" each other's operations, and can be used to solve for the unknown variable in an equation.

What is the difference between exponential and logarithmic functions?

The main difference between exponential and logarithmic functions is the way in which the variable is used. In exponential functions, the variable is in the exponent, while in logarithmic functions, the variable is the base of the logarithm.

How do you graph exponential and logarithmic functions?

To graph an exponential function, you can use the general form y = ab^x, where a is the initial value and b is the growth factor. For logarithmic functions, the general form is y = logb(x), where b is the base of the logarithm. You can plot points and connect them to create a curve for both types of functions.

What are some real-life applications of exponential and logarithmic functions?

Exponential functions can be used to model population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. Logarithmic functions can be used to measure the intensity of earthquakes, the pH level of a substance, and the loudness of sound.

How do you solve equations involving both exponential and logarithmic functions?

To solve equations with both exponential and logarithmic functions, you can use the property that they are inverse functions. This means that you can rewrite the equation using logarithms or exponents to "undo" the other function. Then, you can solve for the variable using algebraic techniques.