If A = i + j + k and B = -I + -j + -k, what will be an angle....

• Thread starter Indranil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, if A and B are both vectors, A-B will make an angle with A if and only if the magnitude (length) of A-B is equal to the magnitude (length) of A.
Indranil

Homework Statement

If A = i + j + k and B = -i + -j + -k , then (A-B) will make angle with A? What is the concept behind it, could you please explain with a diagram? (this is the part from scalar and vector)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If we substruct (A-B) we get '0' because 1-1 = 0 Am I right Please check.

Physics news on Phys.org
Indranil said:
What is 1 - (-1) ?

When you figure out where you made a mistake by answering the question jbriggs posted, use the dot product between (A-B) and A to figure out the angle.
##\vec{(A-B)}\vec{A}=|(A-B)||A|\cos\phi##, where ##\phi## is the angle.

Likes Delta2
jbriggs444 said:
What is 1 - (-1) ?
1 - (-1) = 2

Indranil said:
1 - (-1) = 2
Good. So if A = i + j + k and B = -i + -j + -k, what does that make A - B?

diredragon said:
When you figure out where you made a mistake by answering the question jbriggs posted, use the dot product between (A-B) and A to figure out the angle.
jbriggs444 said:
Good. So if A = i + j + k and B = -i + -j + -k, what does that make A - B?
If we add A + (-B) = A-B so A + (-B) = i + j + k + (-i + -j + -k) = i + j+ k+ -i +-j + -k = 0

Indranil said:

Homework Statement

If A = i + j + k and B = -i + -j + -k , then (A-B) will make angle with A? What is the concept behind it, could you please explain with a diagram? (this is the part from scalar and vector)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You cannot possibly get A -B = 0 unless A = B. Do you have A = B?

Ray Vickson said:
You cannot possibly get A -B = 0 unless A = B. Do you have A = B?
No, I don't A = B

Indranil said:
If we add A + (-B) = A-B so A + (-B) = i + j + k + (-i + -j + -k) = i + j+ k+ -i +-j + -k = 0
If B = -i + -j + -k, what is (-B)?

jbriggs444 said:
If B = -i + -j + -k, what is (-B)?
-B = -(-i + -j + -k) = i + j + k
So what to do next?

Last edited:
Indranil said:
-B = -(-i + -j + -k) = i + j + k
So what to do next?
So work that last bit again. A - B = A + -B. What is A - B?

Just double-check your signs and account for double negatives correctly.

Likes Chestermiller
jbriggs444 said:
So work that last bit again. A - B = A + -B. What is A - B?
A + -B = i + j + k + i + j + k = 2i + 2j + 2k
what to do next?

You asked for a geometrical representation; do you understand how to graph a vector? A
Vector is different from a scalar because unlike a scalar, vectors have both a magnitude (length) and a direction (angle). Graphing the point A(1,2) is simple enough, A lies a distance 1 in the positive x direction and 2 in the positive y direction. With the VECTOR <1,2> the values 1, and 2 act as weights on standard unit vectors i = <1,0> and j = <0,1> so A would be the vector sum of 1*<1,0> + 2*<0,1> if you can begin by drawing these two vectors in the x-y plane then you will have a better understanding of what the geometrical representation of a vector is

Last edited:
'
icesalmon said:
You asked for a geometrical representation; do you understand how to graph a vector? A
Vector is different from a scalar because unlike a scalar, vectors have both a magnitude (length) and a direction (angle). Graphing the point A(1,2) is simple enough, A lies a distance 1 in the positive x direction and 2 in the positive y direction. With the VECTOR <1,2> the values 1, and 2 act as weights on standard unit vectors i = <1,0> and j = <0,1> so A would be the vector sum of 1*<1,0> + 2*<0,1> if you can begin by drawing these two vectors in the x-y plane then you will have a better understanding of what the geometrical representation of a vector is
I know how to draw but this is not my question my question is 'If A = i + j + k and B = -i + -j + -k , then (A-B) will make an angle with A?' I have done so far above as directed

Indranil said:
then (A-B) will make an angle with A?'
Do you know how to find the angle between two vectors? What do you know about dot products?

Likes Delta2
Indranil said:
A + -B = i + j + k + i + j + k = 2i + 2j + 2k
what to do next?
Can you express that answer in terms of A? That should tell you something about the angle between it and A without needing a diagram.

Likes jbriggs444
diredragon said:

Indranil said:
'
I know how to draw but this is not my question my question is 'If A = i + j + k and B = -i + -j + -k , then (A-B) will make an angle with A?' I have done so far above as directed

If you know how to draw these vectors than i don't see how you can't find the angle.
Also, I already answered your question about the angle in the second post. All you have to do is plug in the numbers.

Indranil said:
'

You say you know how to draw the vectors A and (A-B). Have you actually done the drawings? If you had done that (correctly) the answer would be obvious.

Likes jbriggs444
Indranil said:
If we substruct (A-B) we get '0' because 1-1 = 0
You need to use vector addition, not arithmetic addition. You need to find the directions of vectors A and B in order to solve the problem. The magnitudes are irrelevant.

David Lewis said:
You need to use vector addition, not arithmetic addition. You need to find the directions of vectors A and B in order to solve the problem. The magnitudes are irrelevant.
Indranil did use vector addition. The error was confusing 1-1 with 1-(-1).

Likes David Lewis
Indranil said:
'
which is precisely why I asked you to diagram these vectors, presumably you understand basic right angle trigonometry and have been introduced to the notion of a dot product and its relation to the magnitudes of vectors and the angle between them, my post was only meant to help guide you in that direction. Unfortunately nobody here is going to continue to spoon feed you answers, you've got to think about it a bit more here. If you are so lost to the point where you can't even understand why you're lost then you should take a walk and think about that. Return when you at least understand where you're getting confused and we can help guide you a bit more. Good luck!

Related to If A = i + j + k and B = -I + -j + -k, what will be an angle....

1. What is the relationship between A and B?

The relationship between A and B is that they are two 3D vectors, each with three components (i, j, and k). A is the vector with positive components, while B is the vector with negative components.

2. How can we find the angle between A and B?

We can find the angle between A and B by using the dot product formula: A · B = |A| |B| cosθ, where θ is the angle between the two vectors. This formula can be rearranged to solve for θ: θ = cos^-1 [(A · B) / (|A| |B|)].

3. What is the significance of the angle between A and B?

The angle between A and B is significant because it tells us about the orientation and direction of the two vectors relative to each other. A smaller angle indicates that the two vectors are closer in direction, while a larger angle indicates that they are further apart.

4. Can the angle between A and B be negative?

No, the angle between A and B cannot be negative. The range of cos^-1 function is 0 to π (180 degrees), so the angle between two vectors will always be a positive value.

5. How does the order of the components affect the angle between A and B?

The order of the components does not affect the angle between A and B. The dot product formula takes into account the magnitude and direction of each component, regardless of their order. Therefore, the angle between A and B will remain the same even if the components are rearranged.