If a subset T of S is dependent, then S itself dependent

• MHB
  • Thread starter Guest2
  • Start date
In summary: So the only time we have a problem is if $c = 0$ AND $x_1 = 0$. But if $x_1 = 0$, then so is $x_2$ (since $x_1 = cx_2$ and if $c = 0$, the $0 = cx_2 = 0x_2 = 0$ so $x_2 = 0$, and then the set $\{0\}$ is linearly dependent because $0 = 1 \cdot 0$. So we're good.
Guest2
1. Let $V$ be a vector space. Let $S \subset V$, and let $T \subset S$. Show that if $T$ is dependent then $S$ itself dependent.

If $T$ is dependent then there's finite set of distinct elements in $T$, say $y_{1}, \ldots, y_{n}$ and a corresponding set of scalars $a_1, \ldots, a_{n}$ such that $\sum_{i=1}^{n} a_iy_i = 0$. Since $T \subset S$, such $y_{1}, \ldots, y_{n}$ and $a_1, \ldots, a_{n}$ also belong to $S$, therefore $S$ itself dependent.

2. If one element in $S$ is scalar multiple of another, then $S$ is dependent.

Let the elements be $x_{1}$ and $x_2$, and the $c_1$ be the scalar. We have $x_{1} = c x_2 \implies x_1-cx_2 = 0$. Thus $S$ is dependent.

Are my attempts okay?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Guest said:
1. Let $V$ be a vector space. Let $S \subset V$, and let $T \subset S$. Show that if $T$ is dependent then $S$ itself dependent.

If $T$ is dependent then there's finite set of distinct elements in $T$, say $y_{1}, \ldots, y_{n}$ and a corresponding set of scalars $a_1, \ldots, a_{n}$ such that $\sum_{i=1}^{n} a_iy_i = 0$. Since $T \subset S$, such $y_{1}, \ldots, y_{n}$ and $a_1, \ldots, a_{n}$ also belong to $S$, therefore $S$ itself dependent.

This is not quite true, we ALSO require that NOT ALL the $a_i$ are 0.

2. If one element in $S$ is scalar multiple of another, then $S$ is dependent.

Let the elements be $x_{1}$ and $x_2$, and the $c_1$ be the scalar. We have $x_{1} = c x_2 \implies x_1-cx_2 = 0$. Thus $S$ is dependent.

Are my attempts okay?

See my comment above. It's *very* close, which coefficient in your linear combination is non-zero?

Deveno said:
This is not quite true, we ALSO require that NOT ALL the $a_i$ are 0.
See my comment above. It's *very* close, which coefficient in your linear combination is non-zero?
Oh, I see I missed the same condition both times. We should have $c \ne 0$, since, as you said, all $a_i$ can't be zero; but also I think because if $c= 0$, then $x_1$ and $x_2$ wouldn't be distinct.

Guest said:
Oh, I see I missed the same condition both times. We should have $c \ne 0$, since, as you said, all $a_i$ can't be zero; but also I think because if $c= 0$, then $x_1$ and $x_2$ wouldn't be distinct.

Oh, so close...

In your second example, if $c = 0$ we have a linearly dependent set, since $0x_1 = 0$, and the set consisting of the $0$-vector is always a linearly dependent set (in fact, any set CONTAINING the 0-vector is likewise linearly dependent).

But the non-zero coefficient we have in:

$x_1 - cx_2 = 0$

is the coefficient of $x_1$, which is $1$ and in a field, we can NEVER have (by definition) $1 = 0$.

FAQ: If a subset T of S is dependent, then S itself dependent

1. What is the meaning of "dependent" in this context?

In mathematics, a set is considered dependent if at least one element in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other elements in the set.

2. How is a subset T of S considered dependent?

If a subset T of S is dependent, it means that at least one element in T can be written as a linear combination of the other elements in T. This means that T cannot be considered as a linearly independent set.

3. Can a subset T of S be dependent if S is independent?

Yes, it is possible for a subset T of S to be dependent even if S is independent. This is because the dependency of T is determined by the linear combinations of its own elements, not the elements of S.

4. How does the dependency of T affect the dependency of S?

If T is dependent, then S must also be dependent. This is because if at least one element in T can be expressed as a linear combination of the other elements in T, then it can also be expressed as a linear combination of the elements in S.

5. Can a subset T of S be dependent if S is also dependent?

Yes, it is possible for a subset T of S to be dependent if S is also dependent. This is because the dependency of T is determined by the linear combinations of its own elements, not the elements of S. So S being dependent does not guarantee the dependency of T, but it does not rule it out either.