If b a ,Ex and Hy are zero .why ?

• Thread starter munna007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zero
In summary, in the Schaum Series book on Electromagnetic Field Theory, it is shown that if b >> a, then Ex and Hy components are zero, and the only components present will be Ey, Hx, and Hz. This phenomenon occurs in the rectangular waveguide, where depending on the type of boundary conditions used, relevant tangential components to the sides can become zero. This can be seen in the Fourier solution to the 2D wave equation, where Ex and Hy are proportional to sin(1/b), and if b is very large, these components would go to zero. This is also seen in exercise questions in the book, where there is no further explanation provided.
munna007
if b >> a ,Ex and Hy are zero .why ?

hello friends...in schaum series book on Electromagnetic field theory , its shown that if b>> a then Ex and Hy are zero , and only components present will be Ey , Hx, Hz...
can you please tell me the reson for that...what happened when we made b >> a...
( i know that if a > b the all five components mentioned above r present...)

i have uploaded image of rectangular waveguide...

Attachments

• rect waveguide.JPG
    rect waveguide.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 423
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

It is just the way it is.

Do you really mean b >> a and not like in your picture a>b like for a usual rectangular waveguide? If you really mean b>>a, you might find the solutions with a parallel plate waveguide. Furthermore since I am curious, could you supply a amazon.com link to the book you use?

Last edited:

I believe that in the Fourier solution to the 2D wave equation with the rectangular waveguide boundary conditions, Ex and Hy are proportional to sin(1/b), and if b is very large then this would make the components go to zero. I'm not sure if that's what the problem is stating though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm, I thought in rectangular waveguide problems, depending on type of boundary conditions used, the relevant tangential components to sides are 0. That might be why. For example, if a perfect magnetic conductor(pmc) boundary was employed at the left wall of the waveguide above, then Hy component at that wall would be 0 due to pmc condition and so on. Similar situation with the pec condition.

FAQ: If b a ,Ex and Hy are zero .why ?

1. If b, a, Ex, and Hy are all zero, does that mean there is no magnetic field?

No, it does not necessarily mean that there is no magnetic field. The equations for magnetic field involve multiple variables and their relationships, so even if some of the variables are zero, there could still be a magnetic field present.

2. Why are b, a, Ex, and Hy important in understanding magnetic fields?

These variables are important because they relate to the strength and direction of the magnetic field. B and a are components of the magnetic field, while Ex and Hy are related to the electric field and can affect the magnetic field.

3. Can the values of b, a, Ex, and Hy ever be negative?

Yes, the values of these variables can be negative. In fact, negative values are common and can indicate the direction of the magnetic field or electric field.

4. How do b, a, Ex, and Hy relate to each other in the equations for magnetic fields?

B and a are related to each other and to Ex and Hy through Maxwell's equations. These equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and help to explain how they create and interact with each other.

5. Can the values of b, a, Ex, and Hy change over time?

Yes, the values of these variables can change over time. This is due to the changing conditions of the system, such as the movement of charged particles, which can affect the electric and magnetic fields.