If I want to design UAVs (predator drones) what should I study in school?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential engineering fields that would be involved in working on UAVs, specifically targeting, navigation, and systems. It is suggested that computer engineering may be the most suitable field, and the possibility of contacting a company that specializes in aeronautical work, such as General Atomics, for further information is mentioned.
Sentience
Mostly their targeting, navigation, etc. Not their actual flying structure but the systems of the drones.

Computer Science? Computer Engineering? EE? Any of the above?

Physics news on Phys.org
some form of engineering. That sort of work is generally done at large companies with a stake in aeronautical work (obviously..) and so the jobs will likely stem from graduate programmes. Just now I would focus on whatever kind of engineering you feel more interested in - then if, at the end of your degree, you still want to work on UAV's you can apply to join a graduate training scheme.

Sentience said:
Mostly their targeting, navigation, etc. Not their actual flying structure but the systems of the drones.

Computer Science? Computer Engineering? EE? Any of the above?

I would imagine computer engineering would be the way to go but I'm not sure. I have a friend that works for General Atomics which is the company that built the predator for the government. If I was you I would go to "www.ga.com"[/URL] and then just give them a call or send them an email telling them you are a student and ask if you could get the contact info for one of their engineers so you can interview them about their career. They might not allow it at all but it's worth a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to If I want to design UAVs (predator drones) what should I study in school?

1. What degree should I pursue to become a UAV designer?

To become a UAV designer, you should pursue a degree in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Computer Science. These degrees will provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to design and develop UAVs.

2. What specific courses should I take in college to prepare for a career in UAV design?

Some key courses to take in college for UAV design include aerodynamics, flight mechanics, control systems, robotics, computer programming, and systems engineering. These courses will give you a strong foundation in the principles and techniques used in UAV design.

3. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that are particularly important for designing predator drones?

In addition to the technical skills and knowledge mentioned above, it is important to have a strong understanding of military and defense systems, as well as the ethical considerations involved in designing and operating UAVs for military purposes.

4. Do I need a graduate degree to work in the UAV design field?

While a graduate degree can be beneficial for advancing in the field of UAV design, it is not always necessary. Many companies hire individuals with a bachelor's degree and relevant experience. However, a master's or PhD in a related field can provide a deeper understanding and make you a more competitive candidate.

5. Are there any internships or hands-on experiences I should seek out while in school to gain practical experience in UAV design?

Yes, it is highly recommended to seek out internships or hands-on experiences while in school to gain practical experience in UAV design. This could include participating in research projects, working on UAV design teams, or interning at a company that specializes in UAV design. These experiences will not only enhance your skills and knowledge, but also make you more attractive to potential employers.