If it takes me 60 seconds to make a cup of tea, and my manager wants

• Thread starter Qyzren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Seconds
In summary, if it takes 60 seconds to make a cup of tea and the manager wants it 25% faster, it means making it in 48 seconds. Some people argue for 45 seconds (60/1.25) while others argue for 48 seconds (60*0.75). However, since the manager specifically said "25% faster" and "fast" refers to speed, it would be 48 seconds. This is because "25% faster" would mean completing the task in 1.25 times faster than the original speed, which in this case is 48 seconds.
Qyzren
if it takes me 60 seconds to make a cup of tea, and my manager wants me to make it 25% faster, does that mean i make it in
a) 60/1.25 = 48 seconds
b) 60*0.75 = 45 seconds

some people say a, some people say b. What do you guys think?
I think personally think it's a.

If someone told you to make it 100% faster that means make it twice as fast => 30 seconds, if someone told you to make it 200% faster it means 3x as fast as original => 20 seconds. so 25% faster => 48 seconds.

I believe 60 * 0.75 means a reduction by 25% and not faster by 25%...

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Boy this is getting really picky! Okay, since the manager (you're really just trying to sass the manager aren't you?) said specifically "25% faster", and "fast" refers to speed, let's look at speed. You can make a cup of tea at 1/60 cup/sec. "25% faster" would mean 1.25*1/60= 1/48 cup/sec. Working "25% faster" means you make the cup of tea in 48 seconds rather than 60 seconds.

in colloquial if i do something in x time and later in x/2 time then i did this 2times faster. so here i think we want x/(5/4) by analogy. 5/4 times faster. language is picky if you mean "sooner" when say "faster".

Good point. "25% sooner" would be 60- (.25)(60)= 45 seconds while "25% faster" is 48 seconds.

Related to If it takes me 60 seconds to make a cup of tea, and my manager wants

1. How can I speed up the process of making a cup of tea?

There are a few ways to speed up the process of making a cup of tea. First, make sure you have all your supplies readily available and organized. This can save time searching for things. Second, use hot water from a kettle instead of waiting for water to boil on the stove. Finally, try using a tea bag rather than loose leaf tea, as it can be quicker to prepare.

2. Is it important to use a timer when making tea?

While it may not be necessary, using a timer can ensure that your tea is brewed to your desired strength. If you consistently use the same amount of tea and water, you can also use the timer to track how long it takes to make a cup of tea and potentially find ways to improve efficiency.

3. Can I make multiple cups of tea at once?

Yes, if you have a larger teapot or a tea infuser that can fit multiple tea bags or loose leaf tea, you can make multiple cups of tea at once. Just make sure to adjust the brewing time accordingly to prevent over-extraction.

4. How can I make sure my tea is the perfect temperature?

The ideal temperature for brewing tea can vary based on the type of tea, but generally, it should be around 175-185 degrees Fahrenheit. You can use a thermometer to check the temperature of the water before brewing or let the water cool for a few minutes after it boils. Alternatively, some electric kettles have temperature settings specifically for different types of tea.

5. Can I reuse tea leaves or bags to save time?

While it is possible to reuse tea leaves or bags to save time, the resulting tea may not be as flavorful or strong as the first brew. Additionally, some types of tea, such as green tea, are not recommended for multiple steepings. It's best to follow the recommended steeping time and discard the used leaves or bags afterwards.