If Kinetic friction is a constant can I accelerate forever?

In summary, the limiting friction of an object is 10N and the kinetic friction is 5N. If a force of 20N is applied continuously, the object will accelerate with a 10N force forever. However, once the object has started moving, the static friction can be disregarded and the applied force can be reduced. Applying a force of 6N continuously will result in an acceleration of 1N forever. As the object moves faster, it generates more heat due to the increase in distance covered per unit time. This is known as a "work" problem, where work is equal to force multiplied by distance.
sameeralord
If a limiting friction of an object is 10N and the kinetic friction is 5 N.

If I apply a force of 20 N continuosly would I be accelerating with a 5 N force forever.

Physics news on Phys.org
sameeralord said:
If a limiting friction of an object is 10N and the kinetic friction is 5 N.

If I apply a force of 20 N continuosly would I be accelerating with a 5 N force forever.

Hi sameeralord! :smile:

(limiting friction is the maximum value of static friction)

No … you would be accelerating with a 10 N force forever …

once the object has started moving, you can forget the static friction completely (and you can reduce the applied force).

So if you apply a force of 6 N continuously, you will be accelerating with a 1 N force forever. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
you would be accelerating with a 10 N force forever
You meant 15 N. Right?

DaleSpam said:
You meant 15 N. Right?

Right! :smile:

You do need more and more power to overcome friction. The heat produced will become a problem too.

Now this is a "work" problem. Are you familiar with "work"?

Work is a measurement of energy, and is equal to force X distance.

In this case, 15N (the force of friction) times the distance the object slides = the heat energy given off (in "joules").

So, when the object is moving faster, it covers more distance per unit time, so it also generates more heat per unit time.

FAQ: If Kinetic friction is a constant can I accelerate forever?

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects that slide against each other.

2. Is kinetic friction constant?

No, kinetic friction is not constant. It depends on factors such as the surface materials, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the speed of the sliding motion.

3. How does kinetic friction affect acceleration?

Kinetic friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion, so it can decrease the acceleration of an object. However, if the force pushing the object is greater than the force of kinetic friction, the object will continue to accelerate.

4. Can I accelerate forever if kinetic friction is constant?

No, even if kinetic friction is constant, there are other forces such as air resistance and gravity that will eventually cause the object to stop accelerating. Additionally, an object will reach its maximum speed when the force of kinetic friction is equal to the force pushing the object.

5. How can I reduce the effects of kinetic friction?

You can reduce the effects of kinetic friction by using lubricants like oil or grease, which create a thin layer between the surfaces. Additionally, using smoother materials or reducing the force between the surfaces can also decrease the effects of kinetic friction.

Back