If lcm(a,b) = ab, why is gcd(a,b) = 1?

• Thread starter Scootertaj
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that gcd(a,b) = 1 if lcm(a,b) = ab, we can use the fact that lcm(a,b) = \prod p_i^{\max{\alpha_i,\beta_i}} and gcd(a,b) = the min of a=\prod p_i^{\alpha_i} and b=\prod p_i^{\beta_i}. To prove the other direction, we can use the contrapositive and show that if c divides both a and b, then lcm(a,b) is not equal to ab.
Scootertaj
1. If lcm(a,b)=ab, show that gcd(a,b) = 1

Homework Equations

We can't use the fact that lcm(a,b) = ab / gcd(a,b)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already shown that gcd(a,b) = 1 → lcm(a,b) = ab but I can't figure out the other direction!

Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]lcm[a,b]=\prod p_i^{\max{\alpha_i,\beta_i}}[/itex]

Where [itex]a=\prod p_i^{\alpha_i}[/itex]

and [itex]b=\prod p_i^{\beta_i}[/itex]

And the gcd is the min.

Use that fact.

We haven't really used that notation. I imagine it deals with divisibility rules just like the other direction.

I think one way to approach it is to prove the contrapositive. If c is an integer not equal to 1 that divides a and divides b, then a = mc and b = nc for positive integers m and n. Then see if you can show that lcm (a,b) is not ab.

Awesome, got it, thanks!

Related to If lcm(a,b) = ab, why is gcd(a,b) = 1?

1. What is lcm(a,b) and gcd(a,b)?

Lcm (least common multiple) is the smallest positive integer that is divisible by both a and b. Gcd (greatest common divisor) is the largest positive integer that divides both a and b evenly.

2. How do you calculate lcm(a,b) and gcd(a,b)?

To find lcm(a,b), you can use the formula lcm(a,b) = (a * b) / gcd(a,b). To find gcd(a,b), you can use the Euclidean algorithm which involves finding the remainder when a is divided by b, and then using that remainder as the new value of b in the next iteration until the remainder is 0.

3. Why is lcm(a,b) = ab when gcd(a,b) = 1?

This is because when gcd(a,b) = 1, it means that a and b have no common factors except for 1. This means that their only common multiple is ab, making it the least common multiple.

4. Can gcd(a,b) ever be equal to lcm(a,b)?

No, gcd(a,b) and lcm(a,b) are two different mathematical concepts and their values cannot be equal. However, there are some special cases where gcd(a,b) = lcm(a,b), such as when a = b.

5. What is the significance of gcd(a,b) = 1 in terms of the relationship between a and b?

When gcd(a,b) = 1, it means that a and b are relatively prime or coprime. This indicates that a and b have no common factors and are therefore independent of each other in terms of prime factorization. This relationship is important in various mathematical concepts and applications.

Back