If p is even and q is odd, then ##\binom{p}{q}## is even

issacnewton
Homework Statement
Prove that if ## p, q \in \mathbb{N} ## and ##p## is even and ##q## is odd, then ## \binom{p}{q}## is even.
Relevant Equations
Mathematical Induction
If ##p## is even and ##q## is odd, then ##p = 2m## and ##q = 2n - 1##, for some ##m, n \in \mathbb{N}##. Let ##P(m,n)## be the statement that ## \binom{2m}{2n-1}## is even. Now, I am going to use mathematical induction here. My plan is to prove ##P(1, n)## and ##P(m, 1)## as base cases. For the inductive case, I want to assume ##P(m-1, n)## and ##P(m, n-1)## and prove ##P(m, n)##. With this plan, I will prove ##P(m, n)## for all two dimensional grid of ##m## and ##n##.

For ##P(1, n)##, letting, ##m=1##, the binomial coefficient is

$$ \binom{2}{2n-1} $$

So, ##0 \leqslant 2n-1 \leqslant 2##. Since ##2n-1## is odd, I must have ##2n-1 = 1##. Hence

$$ \binom{2}{2n-1} = \binom{2}{1} = 2 $$

which is even. Hence ##P(1, n)## is true. Now, for ##P(m, 1)##, letting ##n=1##, the binomial coefficient is

$$ \binom{2m}{1} = 2m$$

which is even. So, ##P(m, 1)## is also true. Next, for the inductive case, I assume that ##P(m-1, n)## and ##P(m, n-1)## are true. So,

$$ \binom{2m - 2}{2n-1} \text{ is even} $$
$$ \binom{2m}{2n-3} \text{ is even} $$

And I want to prove that

$$ \binom{2m}{2n-1} \text{ is even} $$

I tried using the recurrence relation here.

$$ \binom{2m}{2n-1} = \binom{2m-1}{2n-1} + \binom{2m-1}{2n-2 } $$

But I don't quite get how to proceed from here. This problem may be done with induction on one variable but I wanted to learn induction on two variables, which is more difficult. There are probably other ways to traverse the 2D grid of m , n. But, I wanted to start with this approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to perform an induction on ##n## for any fixed number ##p=2m## because it has the nicer formula:
$$
\binom{p}{q}=\dfrac{p-q+1}{q}\cdot \binom{p}{q-1}
$$
For ##n=1## we get ##\displaystyle{\binom p 1 =p=2m}\;## that is even. The formula gives
\begin{align*}
\binom p q &=\binom{p}{2n-1}=\dfrac{2m-(2n-1)+1}{2n-1}\cdot \binom{p}{q-1}\\[6pt]
&=\dfrac{2m-(2n-1)+1}{2n-1}\cdot\dfrac{2m-(2n-2)+1}{2n-2}\cdot\binom{p}{q-2}
\end{align*}
Does that help? And please check whether I had a typo in the formulas.

Likes issacnewton
You need to show separately that if ##P(m-1, n)## is true, then ##P(m,n)## is true, and if ##P(m,n-1)## is true, then ##P(m,n)## is true. First, suppose ##P(m-1,n)## is true. Then, as you claimed, ##\binom{2m-2}{2n-1}## is even. Continue the recurrence: $$\binom{2m-1}{2n-1} = \binom{2m-2}{2n-1} + \binom{2m-2}{2n-2}, \quad \binom{2m-1}{2n-2} = \binom{2m-2}{2n-2} + \binom{2m-2}{2n-3}$$ Then $$\binom{2m}{2n-1} = \binom{2m-2}{2n-3} + 2\binom{2m-2}{2n-2} + \binom{2m-2}{2n-1}$$ In the right hand side of this equation, the last two term terms are even (the last term is even by the induction hypothesis). By the binomial identity ##n\binom{n-1}{k-1} = \binom{n}{k}##, we get ##(2m-1)\binom{2m-2}{2n-3} = (2n-2)\binom{2m-1}{2n-2}## is an even number, so since ##2m-1## is odd, then ##\binom{2m-2}{2n-3}## is even. Thus ##\binom{2m}{2n-1}## is the sum of three even numbers, which is even.

I leave it to you to show that if ##P(m,n-1)## is true, then ##P(m,n)## is true.

Just an aside -- the binomial identity ##n\binom{n-1}{k-1} = k\binom{n}{k}## gives a short proof of the statement: If ##p## is even and ##q## is odd, then the equation ##(p+1)\binom{p}{q} = (q+1) \binom{p+1}{q+1}## shows that ##(p+1)\binom{p}{q}## is even, so ##\binom{p}{q}## is even (since ##p+1## is odd). This argument was used in the induction step above.

Likes issacnewton
Euge said:
You need to show separately that if ##P(m-1, n)## is true, then ##P(m,n)## is true, and if ##P(m,n-1)## is true, then ##P(m,n)## is true.
This is not necessarily true. If one can show by other means that ##P(m,1)## is true for any ##m##, then it is sufficient to show that ##P(m,n-1)## implies ##P(m,n)##.

Since
$$
{2m \choose 1} = 2m,
$$
##P(m,1)## is true by construction and no inductive step on ##m## is necessary.

Likes docnet