If R^2= L/C, show the total power is independent of frequency

In summary: If not you will have to deal with the trigonometric relations between applied voltage v and current i for inductors and capacitors:Let v = v0 sin(wt) across an inductor L or a capacitor C, thenv = L di/dt so iL = v0/wL sin(wt - pi/2)and iC = C dv/dt = wC sin(wt + pi/2)Then show that the sum of the squares of the magnitudes of the branch currents |iL|2 + |iC|2 add up to a constant independent of w.Then wish you had covered complex electrical parameters!
justtryingtopass

Homework Statement

You have a circuit supplied with AC voltage, it has 2 parallel branches, 1 with R and L, the other with R and C.

a) If (frequency) w^2 = 1/LC, prove that the power in each branch is equal.
b) If R^2 = L/C, show that the power is the circuit is independent of frequency.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure I got a) wL=1/wC, so XL=XC, then I know currents are equal in each branch, and it's a parallel circuit so voltage is equal, therefore power is equal.

But, I don't even know where to begin for b). I can see that R^2 = w/w * L * 1/C (and that is independent of w) but I really think there is more to it than that, some type of proof that R^2 = XL/XC??

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
justtryingtopass said:
type of proof that R^2 = XL/XC??
R2 is not XL/Xc. Find the correct relation among R, XL and Xc from R2=L/C. Find the equivalent impedance of the circuit and use the obtained relation in it.

cnh1995 said:
R2 is not XL/Xc. Find the correct relation among R, XL and Xc from R2=L/C. Find the equivalent impedance of the circuit and use the obtained relation in it.
Ok, so I initially tried to work the result backwards. R^2 = L/C is the same as R^2 = L*1/C, this formula is independent of frequency, so I added frequency back in.
w/w*L*1/C. Which gives wL*1/wC. and then wL = XL and 1/wC = XC. Therefore R^2 = XL/XC. The only way I could get ohms = ohms. I'm not sure how Henry/Farad = ohms^2.

I understand that inductance of an inductor is determined by the details of its construction and is independent of the frequency of the circuit, same principle applies for the capacitor. But, finding the equivalent impedance of the circuit requires frequency...still lost...I don't know the correct relation among R, XL and Xc from R2=L/C.

justtryingtopass said:
R^2 = XL/XC.
No. Your RHS is unitless while the LHS has the unit ohm2.
justtryingtopass said:
Which gives wL*1/wC. and then wL = XL and 1/wC = XC.
Correct. So R2=??
Also, are you familiar with the complex form of impedance?

Likes justtryingtopass
cnh1995 said:
No. Your RHS is unitless while the LHS has the unit ohm2.

Correct. So R2=??
Also, are you familiar with the complex form of impedance?

Response part 2 - I'm still drawing a blank for R^2. I don't think I know the complex form of impedance. I know that in a parallel circuit Z^-1 = 1/Z+1/Z+1/Z+...but trying to do that in terms of R, C, and L got really messy and the result didn't give me any "ah-ha" moments.

So Z = jwL for the impedance of an inductor is not something you've seen before?
If not you will have to deal with the trigonometric relations between applied voltage v and current i for inductors and capacitors:

Let v = v0 sin(wt) across an inductor L or a capacitor C, then
v = L di/dt so iL = v0/wL sin(wt - pi/2)
and iC = C dv/dt = wC sin(wt + pi/2)

Then show that the sum of the squares of the magnitudes of the branch currents |iL|2 + |iC|2 add up to a constant independent of w.
Then wish you had covered complex electrical parameters! :smile:

Related to If R^2= L/C, show the total power is independent of frequency

1. What is the significance of the equation R^2 = L/C?

The equation R^2 = L/C represents the relationship between resistance (R), inductance (L), and capacitance (C) in an electrical circuit. It is known as the impedance equation and is used to calculate the total resistance of a circuit.

2. How does this equation relate to the total power of a circuit?

The equation R^2 = L/C is used to show that the total power of a circuit is independent of frequency. This means that regardless of the frequency at which the circuit is operating, the total power remains constant.

3. Can you explain why the total power is independent of frequency?

The total power is independent of frequency because the equation R^2 = L/C only takes into account the resistance and reactance (combination of inductance and capacitance) of the circuit. It does not include any terms related to frequency. Therefore, the value of R^2 remains constant, and the total power remains unaffected by changes in frequency.

4. How can this equation be applied in real-world scenarios?

The equation R^2 = L/C is commonly used in electrical engineering to design and analyze circuits. It helps in determining the optimal values of resistance, inductance, and capacitance for a given circuit, ensuring that the total power remains constant regardless of the frequency at which the circuit is operating.

5. Are there any limitations to using R^2 = L/C to calculate the total power?

While the equation R^2 = L/C is a useful tool for analyzing circuits, it is important to note that it assumes ideal conditions, such as perfectly linear components and no external influences. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not hold, and the total power may vary slightly with changes in frequency.