If set A subset of B, and B of C, it does not necessarilly f

• I
  • Thread starter Logical Dog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the misconception that if A is a subset of B and B is a subset of C, then A must also be a subset of C. However, this is not always the case. Various examples are given, such as the United Nations and the Big Ten, to illustrate how elements and subsets can be nested in different ways. The conversation also touches on the difference between elements and subsets.
Logical Dog
Continiung from the title, it does not necessarilly follow that A will be a subset of C. I knew this for a long time, but I am unable to understand why. Elias zakons notes gave an example'

here is the example:

This may be illustrated by the following examples.
Let a “nation” be defined as a certain set of individuals, and let the United
Nations (U.N.) be regarded as a certain set of nations. Then single persons are
elements of the nations, and the nations are members of U.N., but individuals
are not members of U.N. Similarly, the Big Ten consists of ten universities,
each university contains thousands of students, but no student is one of the
Big Ten. Families of sets will usually be denoted by script letters: M, N , P,
etc

could anyone give other examples, more mathematical object oriented?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't understand this. You mean to say that ##A \subseteq B## and ##B \subseteq C## does not imply ##A \subseteq C##? I am confused.

Likes Logical Dog
Krylov said:
I don't understand this. You mean to say that ##A \subseteq B## and ##B \subseteq C## does not imply ##A \subseteq C##? I am confused.

yes. Have any more examples in terms of types of numbers?

You mean that if ##A\in B## and ##B\in C## that not necessarily ##A\in C##?

Likes mfb
Yes^^^ apologies for not being clear

Bipolar Demon said:
yes. Have any more examples in terms of types of numbers?

No, since what krylov said is true. You seem to think it's not true for some weird reason.

micromass said:
No, since what krylov said is true. You seem to think it's not true for some weird reason.

No no. sorry, I meant if
1. a is a subset of B
2. and B is a subset of C,
3. it does not necessarily mean that A is also a subset of C

Would you be having any examples, in terms of numbers or just in general?

Bipolar Demon said:
No no. sorry, I meant if
1. a is a subset of B
2. and B is a subset of C,
3. it does not necessarily mean that A is also a subset of C

Would you be having any examples, in terms of numbers or just in general?

If 1 and 2 are true that it does necessarily mean that A is a subset of C.

Likes Logical Dog
micromass said:
If 1 and 2 are true that it does necessarily mean that A is a subset of C.
Ok. Sorry for the confusion, I think I will go sleep and read it again.

You should revise the difference between subset and element.

micromass said:
You should revise the difference between subset and element.

No i got it, mixed up the symbols. sorry,

So if A is in B, and B is in C, A will most likely not be an element of C. As C = {{A}}

But subsets are always nested.

Here is a rather artificial example:
1. ##2## is an element of ##P##, the set of prime numbers.
2. The set ##P## of prime numbers is an element of ##\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z})##, the collection of all subsets of ##\mathbb{Z}##.
3. But ##2\in \mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z})## would mean that ##2## is a subset of ##\mathbb{Z}##, which it is not.

Bipolar Demon said:
No i got it, mixed up the symbols. sorry,

So if A is in B, and B is in C, A will most likely not be an element of C. As C = {{A}}

But subsets are always nested.
Right.

A can be in C, however. C={{A},A}, done.

Likes Logical Dog

FAQ: If set A subset of B, and B of C, it does not necessarilly f

1. What does it mean for set A to be a subset of set B?

For set A to be a subset of set B, it means that every element in set A is also present in set B. In other words, set A is a smaller set that is completely contained within set B.

2. If set A is a subset of set B, does this mean that set A and set B are the same?

No, being a subset does not necessarily mean that the two sets are equal. Set A can be a proper subset of set B, meaning it is a subset but not equal to set B.

3. Can set A be a subset of set B if set B is empty?

Yes, set A can be a subset of set B even if set B is empty. This is because all the elements of set A are also present in set B, even if set B has no elements.

4. Does being a subset of a set imply any relationship between the elements of the two sets?

No, being a subset does not necessarily imply any relationship between the elements of the two sets. The elements of both sets may be completely unrelated, but as long as set A is contained within set B, it is still considered a subset.

5. Is it possible for set C to be a subset of set A if set B is not a subset of set A?

Yes, it is possible for set C to be a subset of set A even if set B is not a subset of set A. This is because being a subset is a one-way relationship, and the elements of set C can still be contained within set A even if set B is not contained within set A.

Back