If tan x = k(where k is a positive constant),How is tan( pie/2 − x)=1/k

In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem about finding the value of a trigonometric function using different approaches and identities. The participants suggest using the tangent function and the co-function identities to simplify the problem. One participant also suggests using a right-angled triangle to solve the problem.
mutineer123

Homework Statement

The exact question is in question one part ii of

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Mathematics%20(9709)/9709_s10_qp_11.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one I just pluged in a value for x, and got -k. But I got stuck a two which tells me my approach is perhaps not entirely what cie is looking for, is there a better way of getting the answer?(like drawing quadrants or something)

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard way would be to simply write the tangent function as the ratio of sine and cosine, and then use the relationship between those two to rewrite, say, [itex]\text{sin}(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)[/itex] in terms of [itex]\text{cos}(x)[/itex].

Steely Dan said:
The standard way would be to simply write the tangent function as the ratio of sine and cosine, and then use the relationship between those two to rewrite, say, [itex]\text{sin}(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)[/itex] in terms of [itex]\text{cos}(x)[/itex].

I don't quite get you, although I know tanx=sinx/cosx I am not sure how I express ∏/2 -x, in terms of sin and cos. Do you mean, I should write sinx/tanx= K and then proceed? But won't that just introduce more variables?

mutineer123 said:
Do you mean, I should write sinx/tanx= K and then proceed? But won't that just introduce more variables?

I mean you should write [tex]\text{tan}(\frac{\pi}{2}-x) = \frac{\text{sin}(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)}{\text{cos}(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)}[/tex] and continue from there, simplifying the numerator and denominator.

Steely Dan said:
I mean you should write [tex]\text{tan}(\frac{\pi}{2}-x) = \frac{\text{sin}(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)}{\text{cos}(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)}[/tex] and continue from there, simplifying the numerator and denominator.
I am terribly sorry Mr.Dan, but I have avery thick head, and I am trying, but I don't seem to understand, I did as you said, I got sin(∏-2x)/2 divided by cos(∏-2x). But that just leads me back to sin(∏-2x)/cos(∏-2x) !

mutineer123 said:
Im terribly sorry Mr.Dan, but I have avery thick head, and I am trying, but I don't seem to understand, I did as you said, I got sin(∏-2x)/2 divided by cos(∏-2x). But that just leads me back to sin(∏-2x)/cos(∏-2x) !

It's actually simpler than that. I'm not talking about, say, the double angle formula, I'm talking about how, for example [tex]\text{sin}(\frac{\pi}{2}-x) = \text{cos}(x).[/tex]

Steely Dan said:
It's actually simpler than that. I'm not talking about, say, the double angle formula, I'm talking about how, for example [tex]\text{sin}(\frac{\pi}{2}-x) = \text{cos}(x).[/tex]
Alright, okay. Thanks a lot, I thnk I am gettin it. Thanks a tonne

mutineer123 said:
I did as you said, I got sin(∏-2x)/2

Noo...

[tex]\sin\left(A+B\right)\neq \frac{\sin\left(2A+2B\right)}{2}[/tex]

mutineer123 said:
got stuck a two which tells me my approach is perhaps not entirely what cie is looking for, is there a better way of getting the answer?
Hi mutineer123! Draw a right-angled triangle, and mark one of the acute angles x. Label the lengths of the two sides appropriate to this question such that the ratio of these sides = k.

The remaining angle in the triangle is (π/2 -x) ...

NascentOxygen said:
Hi mutineer123! Draw a right-angled triangle, and mark one of the acute angles x. Label the lengths of the two sides appropriate to this question such that the ratio of these sides = k.

The remaining angle in the triangle is (π/2 -x) ...

Holy CRAP! I did not think of a right angled triangle! It made it so much easier! THANKS!

Mentallic said:
Noo...

[tex]\sin\left(A+B\right)\neq \frac{\sin\left(2A+2B\right)}{2}[/tex]

we haven't learned that yet.

mutineer123 said:
we haven't learned that yet.
Ok, but that looks to be essentially what you've done earlier:
mutineer123 said:
Im terribly sorry Mr.Dan, but I have avery thick head, and I am trying, but I don't seem to understand, I did as you said, I got sin(∏-2x)/2 divided by cos(∏-2x). But that just leads me back to sin(∏-2x)/cos(∏-2x) !

You either meant [tex]\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-x\right)=\frac{\sin\left(\pi-2x\right)}{2}[/tex] or [tex]\frac{\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-x\right)}{\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-x\right)}=\frac{\sin\left(\frac{\pi-2x}{2}\right)}{\cos\left(\frac{\pi-2x}{2}\right)}=\frac{\sin\left(\pi-2x\right)}{\cos\left(\pi-2x\right)}[/tex]

Which are both incorrect!

Related to If tan x = k(where k is a positive constant),How is tan( pie/2 − x)=1/k

1. How does the value of k affect the equation tan x = k?

The value of k affects the equation by determining the slope of the tangent line at the point x on the unit circle. As k increases, the slope of the tangent line also increases, and as k decreases, the slope decreases. This can be seen visually on the graph of the tangent function.

2. Why does tan( pie/2 − x)=1/k?

This is because the tangent function is periodic with a period of π. So, when we subtract π/2 from x, we are essentially shifting the graph of the tangent function to the left by π/2. This results in the new tangent function intersecting the original function at a point where k = 1/tan(x). Therefore, the new equation becomes tan(π/2 − x) = 1/k.

3. What is the significance of π/2 in the equation tan (π/2 − x) = 1/k?

π/2 is the value of x where the tangent function has a vertical asymptote. This means that the function is undefined at π/2. When we take the inverse of tan, we are essentially finding the angle that has a tangent value of 1/k. This angle is located at the point where the tangent function has a vertical asymptote, which is at π/2.

4. Can the equation tan x = k have multiple solutions?

Yes, the equation can have multiple solutions as the tangent function is periodic, meaning it repeats itself after every π units. So, there can be multiple values of x that satisfy the equation tan x = k. However, when we take the inverse tangent function, we restrict the range to only one solution.

5. How can we use the equation tan x = k to solve for x?

To solve for x, we can take the inverse tangent of both sides of the equation, which will give us x = tan-1(k). This will give us the angle that has a tangent value of k. We can also use a calculator to find the inverse tangent of k to get the numerical value of x.