If the speed of light was greater, how would it show up?

In summary: At the very least, it would be interesting to know what the parameters are that would need to be tweaked in order to create a variable speed of light. If there is a physical advantage to achieving this, then it would be worthwhile to explore. Otherwise, I fail to see the point.
GeorgeBaxter
I have been reading some sites that claim that the speed of light was greater in the past. They do not say whether it was locally different or over the entire universe.

My view is that either way, we could detect it. Locally would be an anomalous region of the universe looking very different to the rest, and that is not seen. If it C were different, then that too would show up. For example, E=mC2 would mean stars are considerably hotter, larger and may not form. The fine structure constant would change, and magnetic fields would be weaker. As the stars and galaxies show an amazing degree of uniformity and homogeneity, that must put very tight limits of any variation of C throughout the universe.

If C were say 100 times greater, then the energy released would be far,far greater, so the core temperature would be large, the internal pressure correspondingly greater, and so harder for the gravitational effects to overcome, and so the star must be larger. If it is too large, then it will simply merge with neighbours and not really be a star, more a glowing hot cloud over many light years.

Am I wrong on my assessment? Is there are value of C such that stars would not form?

Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
Variable speed of light is an old idea that's like the smell of fish in the kitchen - it just won't go away. Were nature to orchestrate a carefully crafted conspiracy amongst the constants of nature, a variable speed of light could easily hide in the chaos. I fail to see any advantage in adding a conspiracy theory to current mysteries. It's like the thermos bottle fairy, it keep hot things hot and keep cold things cold, but, how do it know? Besides, I think nature is too lazy to go to that much trouble.

Likes phinds
GeorgeBaxter said:
I have been reading some sites that claim that the speed of light was greater in the past. They do not say whether it was locally different or over the entire universe.

My view is that either way, we could detect it. Locally would be an anomalous region of the universe looking very different to the rest, and that is not seen. If it C were different, then that too would show up. For example, E=mC2 would mean stars are considerably hotter, larger and may not form. The fine structure constant would change, and magnetic fields would be weaker. As the stars and galaxies show an amazing degree of uniformity and homogeneity, that must put very tight limits of any variation of C throughout the universe.

If C were say 100 times greater, then the energy released would be far,far greater, so the core temperature would be large, the internal pressure correspondingly greater, and so harder for the gravitational effects to overcome, and so the star must be larger. If it is too large, then it will simply merge with neighbours and not really be a star, more a glowing hot cloud over many light years.

Am I wrong on my assessment? Is there are value of C such that stars would not form?

Thanks
I'm not sure that analysis is correct. It's too simplistic. To do the real calculation, you'd need to examine how the speed of light factors into the various forces. The first thing you'd have to do is not change the speed of light: the speed of light, as a dimensionful quantity, has no intrinsic meaning. To change something that will actually change how the universe behaves, you'd have to change some dimensionless quantity that depends upon the speed of light.

Next, you'd have to follow through with all of the implications of this. Changing this dimensionless quantity (whatever it is: there are multiple choices) would impact nuclear physics by modifying the energies of various nuclear states and the rates of various nuclear decays. It would modify the electron orbital structure of atoms and thus chemistry would be very different with a different speed of light, as would the spectra of various atoms and molecules.

So changing the fundamental constants would have far-reaching impacts in a large variety of contexts. So far no such change has been detected. Steve Carlip did a rather interesting post on this over at talkorigins a while ago:
http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/postmonth/aug06.html

Likes PhanthomJay
Is there any difference between "c" as the "speed of light" and "c" as a "physical constant"?

Hi Calnoth. Thanks for your detailed reply. I agree that in order to make detailed calculations, it would be necessary to explore via the dimensionless constants. Clearly Alpha already depends upon C, and is observed to be a constant to better than 1 part in a million, then other constants must change. Given that scenario, then the discussion would dissolve and digress into details, with virtually a blank canvas where any constant is not really a constant.

I did post a message onto this stale three, that explores the visible consequences of C being very much slower

http://www.askamathematician.com/20...ght-was-only-about-one-hundred-miles-per-hour

I am thinking macroscopically rather microscopically. Gases can be considered in bulk ( thermodynamics ), or statistically, or quantum mechanically. They will broadly give the same answer, although not it detail.

I am really looking for order of magnitude effects. If C were 10 times greater, or a million times greater. So how could we tell what the speed of light was in the past? Take a specific case. The galaxy Andromeda. That is 2.5 million light years away, +/- 5%. If the speed of light really had changed we should be able to detect it in Andromeda, as the astronomy has progressed so that individual stars and binary stars can be studied.

The most likely method for detecting a different speed of light in the past is to look at atomic spectra. The spectra of atoms are shifted in rather chaotic-seeming ways by changes in the speed of light (well, really changes in [itex]\alpha[/itex]), meaning it is in principle rather easy to estimate changes in the speed of light in the distant past just by observing the spectra of elements heavier than hydrogen. People have tried this and shown that the speed of light has varied by no more than a couple percent.

Related to If the speed of light was greater, how would it show up?

1. How would the speed of light being greater affect everyday life?

If the speed of light was greater, everyday life would be drastically different. The increased speed of light would affect all forms of technology, communication, and transportation. It would also affect the way we perceive time and space, as the laws of relativity would be altered.

2. Would the speed of light being greater change the laws of physics?

Yes, the speed of light is a fundamental constant in the laws of physics. If it were to be altered, it would have a significant impact on the principles and theories that govern the universe. It could potentially lead to the need to revise and adapt our understanding of the physical world.

3. How would the speed of light being greater affect the universe?

The increased speed of light would have a profound impact on the entire universe. It would alter the way light travels through space, affecting the appearance of distant objects and the way we observe them. It would also change the dynamics of celestial bodies and the behavior of energy and matter within the universe.

4. Is it possible for the speed of light to be greater?

Based on our current understanding and scientific evidence, it is highly unlikely that the speed of light can be greater. The speed of light is considered a constant in the laws of physics, and any changes to it would require a significant shift in our understanding of the universe.

5. How would we measure the effects of a greater speed of light?

Measuring the effects of a greater speed of light would require advanced technology and experiments. Scientists would need to observe and analyze the behavior of light at different speeds and compare it to our current understanding. It would also involve studying the impact on various physical phenomena and observing any changes in the universe over time.