If there is a big crunch will space collapse with the matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space collapsing and the connection between space and matter. It is difficult to talk about space itself and whether it can collapse, but it is heavily altered by the presence of extreme amounts of mass. The theory of the big bang suggests that space is like a balloon and takes matter along for the ride as it expands. However, the physical means by which space becomes a balloon is still unclear.
Peter 99
If there is a big crunch will space collapse with the matter?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's difficult to talk about 'space itself'. Other than being 'bent' by mass, energy, and stress, space doesn't seem to have any properties that could collapse. It would certainly be heavily altered by the presence of extreme amounts of mass in a small volume, but I don't know I'd go so far to say that 'space collapses'.

If space can expand, how couldn't it collapse...?

Think of it as running time backwards in time until the Big Bang, so space itself would collapse, yes.

Drakkith said:
It's difficult to talk about 'space itself'. Other than being 'bent' by mass, energy, and stress, space doesn't seem to have any properties that could collapse. It would certainly be heavily altered by the presence of extreme amounts of mass in a small volume, but I don't know I'd go so far to say that 'space collapses'.
Drakkith said:
If I understand the standard big bang theory correctly, space is like a balloon and is taking the clumps of matter along for the ride as it is expanding, so to initiate a big crunch would space have to start collapsing, or would matter start collapsing, in effect the air would be let out of the balloon? But, what is more interesting to me is how, by what physical means does space latch onto clumps of matter, how does space become a balloon?

bahamagreen said:
If space can expand, how couldn't it collapse...?

That's a good point and one I hadn't thought about. Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you.

Peter 99 said:
If I understand the standard big bang theory correctly, space is like a balloon and is taking the clumps of matter along for the ride as it is expanding, so to initiate a big crunch would space have to start collapsing, or would matter start collapsing, in effect the air would be let out of the balloon? But, what is more interesting to me is how, by what physical means does space latch onto clumps of matter, how does space become a balloon?

This is a complicated issue and I'm sorry to say that I, again, don't have a good answer for it. I'm sure General Relativity says something on the matter. As far as I understand it, everything ultimately boils down to describing the behavior of objects within spacetime, not to 'spacetime itself' unless you're talking about what the metric is doing. But that's all a little over my head to be honest.

Related to If there is a big crunch will space collapse with the matter?

1. What is a big crunch?

A big crunch is a hypothetical event in the universe's timeline where the expansion of the universe eventually stops and starts to contract, eventually leading to the collapse of all matter back into a singularity.

2. Will the space collapse along with the matter during a big crunch?

Yes, according to current theories, the space itself will collapse along with the matter during a big crunch. This is because space and matter are interconnected in the fabric of spacetime, and the collapse of matter will also cause the collapse of space.

3. How is a big crunch different from the big bang?

The big crunch and the big bang are two different hypothetical scenarios in the timeline of the universe. The big bang is the beginning of the universe, where all matter and energy were concentrated in a singularity and then expanded rapidly. The big crunch, on the other hand, is the opposite scenario where the expansion of the universe eventually stops and starts to contract.

4. Is there evidence for a big crunch?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence for a big crunch. In fact, recent observations suggest that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, which goes against the idea of a big crunch. However, the possibility of a big crunch is still being studied and researched by scientists.

5. What would happen to life on Earth during a big crunch?

It is difficult to say what would happen to life on Earth during a big crunch. As the universe contracts, it is likely that the Earth and all other celestial bodies would be pulled towards each other, causing extreme gravitational forces. This could potentially lead to the destruction of life on Earth, but it is also possible that life could adapt to these extreme conditions. However, since a big crunch is still a hypothetical event, it is impossible to accurately predict its effects on life.

Back