If we neglect air resistance, then the range of a ball

In summary, air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. We neglect air resistance when calculating the range of a ball because it simplifies the calculations and makes it easier to understand the basic principles of motion. However, air resistance does affect the range of a ball by decreasing its distance due to the force acting in the opposite direction of its motion. Air resistance can vary for different objects based on size, shape, and speed, and can be minimized by using a more streamlined design and launching the ball at a higher speed.
Niaboc67

Homework Statement

If we neglect air resistance, then the range of a ball (or any projectile) shot at an angle θ with respect to the x-axis and with an initial velocity v0, is given by
R(θ)=v_0^2/g sin(2θ) for 0 ≤ θ ≤ π/2

where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 meters per second per second).
For what value of θ is the maximum range attained? (Note that the answer is numerical, not symbolic.)
θ =

The Attempt at a Solution

If I understand correctly. To find the max and min you simply take the derivative of that function and set it to zero. In this case I assume we have only a max since a ball is being tossed into the air.

I get the functions derivative:
R'(θ) = V_0^2/g *2*cos(2θ)
Then isolate the function
cos(2θ) = 0, well that is only true for pi/2, since it's domain here is [0,pi/2]
therefore isolating θ by itself by dividing through.
2θ=pi/2

θ=pi/4

Is this process and reasoning correctly thought out?

Thank you
Os

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Niaboc67 said:

Homework Statement

If we neglect air resistance, then the range of a ball (or any projectile) shot at an angle θ with respect to the x-axis and with an initial velocity v0, is given by
R(θ)=v_0^2/g sin(2θ) for 0 ≤ θ ≤ π/2

where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 meters per second per second).
For what value of θ is the maximum range attained? (Note that the answer is numerical, not symbolic.)
θ =

The Attempt at a Solution

If I understand correctly. To find the max and min you simply take the derivative of that function and set it to zero. In this case I assume we have only a max since a ball is being tossed into the air.

I get the functions derivative:
R'(θ) = V_0^2/g *2*cos(2θ)
Then isolate the function
cos(2θ) = 0, well that is only true for pi/2, since it's domain here is [0,pi/2]
therefore isolating θ by itself by dividing through.
2θ=pi/2

θ=pi/4

Is this process and reasoning correctly thought out?

Thank you
Os
Looks good to me. For maximum range, the angle should be ##\pi/4##.

Related to If we neglect air resistance, then the range of a ball

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. As an object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to the air molecules colliding with the object.

2. Why do we neglect air resistance when calculating the range of a ball?

We neglect air resistance when calculating the range of a ball because it simplifies the calculations and makes it easier to understand the basic principles of motion. In reality, air resistance does affect the range of a ball, but the effects are often small and negligible for most practical purposes.

3. How does air resistance affect the range of a ball?

Air resistance decreases the range of a ball by slowing it down as it moves through the air. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion, causing it to lose speed and distance.

4. Is air resistance the same for all objects?

No, air resistance can vary depending on the size, shape, and speed of the object. For example, a larger and more streamlined object will experience less air resistance than a smaller and more irregularly shaped object.

5. How can we minimize the effects of air resistance on the range of a ball?

To minimize the effects of air resistance on the range of a ball, we can use a more streamlined and aerodynamic design for the ball. Additionally, throwing or launching the ball at a higher speed can also help to overcome the force of air resistance and increase the ball's range.