If x and y are parallel, then ha = b?

• Thread starter julypraise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
In summary, the angle between two vectors x and y in \mathbb{R}^k is defined as \theta = \cos ^{-1}\frac{<x,y>}{||x|| \cdot ||y||}, where \cos ^{-1}:[-1,1] \to [0,\pi] is bijective. X and y are parallel in the same direction if \theta = 0 and in the opposite direction if \theta = \pi. The theorem states that if x and y are parallel in the same direction, then x = hy where h>0, and if in the opposite direction, then x = hy with h<0. The proof involves showing that <x,y>^
julypraise
I defined the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] between [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}^k[/itex] and [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}^k[/itex] in the way that:

[itex]\theta = \cos ^{-1}\frac{<x,y>}{||x|| \cdot ||y||}[/itex]

where [itex]\cos ^{-1}:[-1,1] \to [0,\pi][/itex] is bijective.

And, therefore, [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are parallel in the same direction if [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] and in the opposite direction if [itex]\theta = \pi[/itex].

Now I can't prove the following theorem within this context:

Theorem: If [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are parallel in the same direction, then [itex]x = hy[/itex] where [itex]h>0[/itex], and if in the opposite direction, then [itex]x = hy[/itex] with [itex]h<0[/itex].

I feel very grateful if someone post the proof. Thanks.

(Please note that [itex]<x,y> = x_1 y_1 + \cdots + x_k y_k[/itex].)

Actually, what I've done so far for the proof is this:

[itex]<x,y>^2 = (||x|| \cdot ||y||)^2[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle{ x^2 _1 y^2 _1 + \cdots + x^2 _k y^2 _k + 2\sum_{i \neq j} x_i y_i x_j y_j = x^2 _1 y^2 _1 + \cdots + x^2 _k y^2 _k + \sum_{i \neq j} x^2 _i y^2 _j }[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle{ 2\sum_{i \neq j} x_i y_i x_j y_j = \sum_{i \neq j} x^2 _i y^2 _j }[/itex].

But from here I cannot progress further.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try computing the norm of (||y||/||x||)x-y.

FAQ: If x and y are parallel, then ha = b?

1. What does it mean for x and y to be parallel?

Two lines are parallel if they never intersect, no matter how far they are extended. This means that they have the same slope.

2. How can I prove that x and y are parallel?

To prove that two lines are parallel, you can use one of three methods: 1) show that their slopes are equal, 2) show that their corresponding angles are equal, or 3) show that their equations have the same form (i.e. both in slope-intercept form).

3. Why does ha = b if x and y are parallel?

If x and y are parallel, then they have the same slope. In the equation y = mx + b, the slope is represented by m. Since the slopes are equal, both equations will have the same value for m. This means that the values for b must also be equal in order for the lines to be parallel. Therefore, ha = b.

4. Can x and y be parallel if ha does not equal b?

No, if ha does not equal b, then the lines cannot be parallel. As mentioned before, for two lines to be parallel, their equations must have the same slope and y-intercept. If the y-intercepts are not equal, then the lines will eventually intersect at some point.

5. How is this concept used in real life?

The idea of parallel lines is used in many different fields, such as architecture, engineering, and physics. For example, parallel lines are used in building construction to create straight and evenly spaced walls. In physics, parallel lines are used to represent the paths of motion for particles that do not interact with each other.