If X ∼ Uniform(−1, 1) find the pdf of Y = |X|

In summary: What is the total probability of Y being less than or equal to y?1. What range does ##X## have to be in for that to be the case?The range of ##X## needs to be the interval from -1 to 1.2. What is the probability of ##X## being in that range?The probability of ##X## being in the range from -1 to 1 is 1/2.3. What is the total probability of Y being less than or equal to y?The total probability of Y being less than or equal to y is 1/3.
BobblyHats97
This question is killing me.

I know the graph is non-monotonic so i have to split up finding F(Y) for -1<Y and Y<1 but then what do I do with the modulus? >.<

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much x

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the pdf of X, which is as simple as a pdf can be.
You have correctly assessed that the next step is to work out the cdf ##F_Y## of Y. THat is, for a given ##y\in[0,1]##, we need to work out what is ##F_Y(y)##?

##F_Y(y)## is the probability that ##Y\leq y##. What values of ##X## produce a value of ##Y## that satisfies that? Can you work out the probability that ##X## has such a value?

By inspection, Y is uniform between 0 and 1.

andrewkirk said:
Unfortunately that only works for increasing or decreasing functions, so it can't be applied to the absolute value function.
Why not apply it piecewise, from -1 to 0 then from 0 to 1?

andrewkirk said:
You know the pdf of X, which is as simple as a pdf can be.
You have correctly assessed that the next step is to work out the cdf ##F_Y## of Y. THat is, for a given ##y\in[0,1]##, we need to work out what is ##F_Y(y)##?

##F_Y(y)## is the probability that ##Y\leq y##. What values of ##X## produce a value of ##Y## that satisfies that? Can you work out the probability that ##X## has such a value?
I'm sorry, can you explain what you just said? I'm tired and feeling slightly brain dead but this homework is due in tomorrow :(

I've calculated that the pdf is 1/2 for -1<x<1 and 0 otherwise.

I understand that to find the probability that Y≤y i have to fine the probability that |x|≤y for -1<Y<0 and 0<Y<1 but how do I do that? Am I missing something obvious? Can I just get rid of the modulus because I'm considering all possible values on Y?

BobblyHats97 said:
I understand that to find the probability that Y≤y i have to fine the probability that |x|≤y for -1<Y<0 and 0<Y<1 but how do I do that?
You need to be more careful with upper and lower case, in order to avoid confusing yourself. The standard convention, which works nicely, is to use upper case for a random variable and lower case for a plain old number. So when we write ##Prob(Y\leq y)## we mean the probability that the random variable ##Y## is less than or equal to the number ##y##.
So don't write things like ##|x|≤y## as you did above, because you'll just confuse yourself. If you instead write ##|X|\leq y## then it's easy to see how to proceed. You are trying to find the probability that the random variable ##X## has an absolute value in the range ##[0,y]##. So ask yourself:
1. What range does ##X## have to be in for that to be the case?
2. What is the probability of ##X## being in that range?

FAQ: If X ∼ Uniform(−1, 1) find the pdf of Y = |X|

1. What is the probability density function (pdf) of Y?

The pdf of Y = |X| is a piecewise function that depends on the value of X. For values of X between -1 and 1, the pdf is 1/2. For all other values of X, the pdf is 0.

2. How is the pdf of Y related to the pdf of X?

The pdf of Y is related to the pdf of X through the transformation Y = |X|. This transformation changes the shape of the pdf, but the total area under the curve remains the same.

3. How can the pdf of Y be used to calculate probabilities?

The pdf of Y can be used to calculate probabilities by integrating the function over a given interval. For example, to find the probability that Y is between 0 and 1, we can integrate the pdf from 0 to 1.

4. What is the mean and standard deviation of Y?

The mean of Y is 1/2 and the standard deviation is approximately 0.29. This can be calculated using the properties of the uniform distribution.

5. How does the pdf of Y change if the range of X is changed?

The pdf of Y will change depending on the range of X. If the range of X is increased, the pdf of Y will become more spread out. If the range of X is decreased, the pdf of Y will become more concentrated around the mean.