If x1 and x2 solve an LP problem, show that there are

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary: So let's suppose that x3 is a weakly convex function with domain Ω = (0, 1). Then, since x3 satisfies the conditions for being a solution to the LP, it must also satisfy the following: x3(x1, x2) = x1 + x2 for all x in Ω.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

If x1 and x2 solve the LP problem P, show that there are infinitely many solutions.

Homework Equations

(P): maximize of cTx subject to Axb, x0

(Though the problem doesn't say it, I'm sure we assume x1x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So it'll suffice to show that Ax1 = Ax2 = sup{Ax | Axb, x0} implies the existence of another x3 = sup{Ax | Axb, x0}. I remember my professor saying something about convex sets (I wasn't taking notes so I can't remember the gist of it). I think I need to choose λ ε (0, 1) and then show that x3 = λx1 + (1 - λ)x2 = sup{Ax | Axb, x0}. How do I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute x3 thus defined and check that it satisfies the conditions and that the value of the objective function does not change.

Then, please read up on the theory.

voko said:
Substitute x3 thus defined and check that it satisfies the conditions and that the value of the objective function does not change.

Suppose x ε ℝn and y ε ℝn, with xy, solve the linear program. Fix λ ε (0, 1) and set z = λx + (1 - λ)y.

Since xi, yi ≥ 0 for each i ε {1, ..., n}, and since λ, 1 - λ > 0, we have λxi, (1 - λ)yi ≥ 0 and subsequently zi = λxi + (1 - λ)yi ≥ 0 for each i ε {1, ..., n}. Hence z0. Similarly, since λ, 1 - λ < 1 we have have Azb. Hence z is a feasible solution for the LP. To see that cTz is optimal, look at zi = λxi + (1 - λ)yi = λ(xi - yi) + yi. Errrr not sure what to do from here

Last edited:
Jamin2112 said:
Suppose x ε ℝn and y ε ℝn, with xy, solve the linear program. Fix λ ε (0, 1) and set z = λx + (1 - λ)y.

Since xi, yi ≥ 0 for each i ε {1, ..., n}, and since λ, 1 - λ > 0, we have λxi, (1 - λ)yi ≥ 0 and subsequently zi = λxi + (1 - λ)yi ≥ 0 for each i ε {1, ..., n}. Hence z0. Similarly, since λ, 1 - λ < 1 we have have Azb. Hence z is a feasible solution for the LP. To see that cTz is optimal, look at zi = λxi + (1 - λ)yi = λ(xi - yi) + yi.

Errrr not sure what to do from here

Plug that into the objective function; mind its linearity.

Jamin2112 said:

Homework Statement

If x1 and x2 solve the LP problem P, show that there are infinitely many solutions.

Homework Equations

(P): maximize of cTx subject to Axb, x0

(Though the problem doesn't say it, I'm sure we assume x1x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So it'll suffice to show that Ax1 = Ax2 = sup{Ax | Axb, x0} implies the existence of another x3 = sup{Ax | Axb, x0}. I remember my professor saying something about convex sets (I wasn't taking notes so I can't remember the gist of it). I think I need to choose λ ε (0, 1) and then show that x3 = λx1 + (1 - λ)x2 = sup{Ax | Axb, x0}. How do I do this?

You cannot assume [itex] Ax_1 = Ax_2,[/itex] because at both [itex]x_1 \text{ and } x_2[/itex] we can have some rows of Ax being strictly less than the corresponding components of b; and the differences between the right and left-hand sides at those "non-binding" constraints can be different at the two optima. In other words, in the situation you describe we usually have [itex] Ax_1 \neq Ax_2.[/itex] However, you DO both [itex]Ax_1 \leq b[/itex] and [itex]Ax_2 \leq b,[/itex] but with [itex] cx_1 = cx_2.[/itex] Now use convexity in the manner others have suggested.
RGV

Related to If x1 and x2 solve an LP problem, show that there are

1. What is an LP problem?

An LP (linear programming) problem is a mathematical model used to optimize a linear objective function subject to linear constraints. It involves finding the maximum or minimum value of the objective function while satisfying the given constraints.

2. What does it mean for x1 and x2 to solve an LP problem?

For x1 and x2 to solve an LP problem, they must be feasible solutions that satisfy all of the constraints and result in the optimal value of the objective function. This means that they are the best possible solutions for the given problem.

3. How do you show that there are solutions for an LP problem?

To show that there are solutions for an LP problem, one must prove that there exists at least one feasible solution that satisfies all of the constraints and results in the optimal value of the objective function. This can be done through various methods, such as using graphical or algebraic techniques.

4. What is the significance of x1 and x2 solving an LP problem?

The fact that x1 and x2 solve an LP problem means that they are the optimal solutions for the given problem. This is significant because it allows for the efficient allocation of resources and helps to make decisions based on data and mathematical calculations rather than intuition or guesswork.

5. Can an LP problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, an LP problem can have multiple solutions. This means that there are multiple feasible solutions that satisfy all of the constraints and result in the optimal value of the objective function. These solutions are known as alternate optimal solutions and can be found by adjusting the objective function or constraints.