If you buy individual stocks - why?

• Thread starter BWV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stocks
In summary: However, it is not the only reason to invest in individual stocks. The upside is limited, whereas the downside is not.
BWV
Given that stockpicking is a zero sum game relative to index returns (before transaction costs - after costs it is negative sum), is it simply the cognitive bias of overconfidence the reason why you all buy individual stocks? Or is it for the entertainment value

Probably a mixture of both for me

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not necessarily a zero sum game.
Index funds only buy the index listed shares (FTSE 100 etc) not the whole market - this biases them toward the companies and industries with the largest market cap.
If you are interested in industries where companies are smaller then you are not necessarily playing against the index funds.

mgb_phys said:
It's not necessarily a zero sum game.
Index funds only buy the index listed shares (FTSE 100 etc) not the whole market - this biases them toward the companies and industries with the largest market cap.
If you are interested in industries where companies are smaller then you are not necessarily playing against the index funds.

There are plenty of index funds that buy the entire market (Vanguard Total Stock Market for one). It is true that indexes are biased toward larger companies, but there are index funds that buy every stock in the bottom decile of market capitalization of the US market. So if you want to buy small stocks you can buy this or the Russell 2000 or any number of smaller cap products.

I would only pick individual stocks that I had some knowledge of. I used to be very up on computer technology and knew that AMD would win the 1ghz race before the markets recognized it. It was a big winner for me and I even got my parents to thow a bunch of their money at it (much more than I did, in fact).

But that was a pretty rare and special circumstance. Generally, individual stock picks are a toss-up. "Zero sum game" is a bad term to throw around in economics, but it is true that 100 relatively knowledgeable people picking stocks cannot generally do better than 100 monkeys picking stocks.

The Wall Street Journal once did an experiment where their editors threw darts - literally - at their stock page, then tracked their hypothetical mutual fund for a while. It did quite well.

russ_watters said:
I would only pick individual stocks that I had some knowledge of...
I second that approach. Observation of companies I've had opportunity to deal with over time via visits from their sales staff, interaction with their engineers and middle management - whether they bumble along, are unresponsive, unmotivated, or the opposite - that all tells a story that often doesn't show up for the analysts until much later.

Insider trading is rather lucrative...

Related to If you buy individual stocks - why?

1. Why should I buy individual stocks instead of just investing in a mutual fund?

Investing in individual stocks allows you to have more control over your portfolio and potentially higher returns. Mutual funds have a diverse mix of stocks, but they also come with higher fees and less control over which specific companies your money is invested in.

2. Isn't buying individual stocks riskier than investing in a mutual fund?

Yes, buying individual stocks does come with a higher level of risk. However, with proper research and diversification, you can minimize that risk and potentially see higher returns compared to investing in a mutual fund.

3. How do I know which individual stocks to buy?

Research is key when it comes to buying individual stocks. Look at a company's financials, management team, industry trends, and any potential risks. It's also important to diversify your portfolio and not put all your money into just a few stocks.

4. Should I buy individual stocks as a long-term or short-term investment?

It depends on your investment goals and risk tolerance. Some people may choose to buy individual stocks as a long-term investment, holding onto them for several years, while others may prefer to buy and sell more frequently for short-term gains. It's important to have a clear investment strategy and stick to it.

5. What are the potential downsides of buying individual stocks?

One downside is the higher level of risk compared to investing in a mutual fund. Individual stocks can also be more time-consuming and require a lot of research and monitoring. In addition, buying and selling individual stocks can also come with trading fees, which can add up over time. It's important to weigh these factors before making any investment decisions.