If z is one of the roots of unity with index n, find the sum

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of a series involving nth roots of unity and the use of complete induction and calculus to solve it. The relevant equation is (1-x)(1+x+...+xn-1) = 1 - xn and the hint is to differentiate x+x^2+...+x^n.
tonit

Homework Statement

Given the fact that z is one of the n-th roots of unity, find the sum below:
1 + 2z + 3z2 + ... + nzn-1

Homework Equations

(1-x)(1+x+...+xn-1) = 1 - xn

The Attempt at a Solution

honestly I don't know how to do this. any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
..the hint for the solution is called complete induction. ;)

First of all you starting to show that the beginning of the sequence is true.
After that you show that its also true for n+1...

Try to make some sort of attempt to solve it...

Divide eqn 2 with (1-x) and try solvin it using some calculus

Yes u can use induction also. But try solving it using calculus. It is simpler and more interestring

what I'm trying to solve is this
1 + 2z + 3z2 + ... + nzn-1

Yes, you said that initially and you have two different suggestions as to how to do that. Have you tried either?

I don't know how to apply induction to a sum. there is no "=" to prove. I have to find the sum, not prove something given. That's why I don't know how to apply induction.

tonit said:

Homework Equations

(1-x)(1+x+...+xn-1) = 1 - xn

There is one relevant eqn missing

tonit said:
I don't know how to apply induction to a sum. there is no "=" to prove. I have to find the sum, not prove something given. That's why I don't know how to apply induction.

I'm guessing that you're supposed to find a formula for the series (without 3 dots in it).

Hint: What do you get if you differentiate x+x^2+...+x^n?

FAQ: If z is one of the roots of unity with index n, find the sum

1. What does it mean for z to be a root of unity with index n?

A root of unity with index n means that z is a complex number that, when raised to the power of n, yields an answer of 1. In other words, z^n = 1.

2. How do you find the sum when z is a root of unity with index n?

To find the sum when z is a root of unity with index n, you can use the formula: S = 1 + z + z^2 + ... + z^(n-1). This formula works for any value of n, and the sum will always equal 0.

3. Can you provide an example of finding the sum when z is a root of unity with index n?

Sure, let's say z is a root of unity with index 5. Then the sum would be: S = 1 + z + z^2 + z^3 + z^4 = 1 + z + z^2 + z^3 + (z^4 * z) = 1 + z + z^2 + z^3 + (1 * z) = 1 + z + z^2 + z^3 + z = 0.

4. What is the significance of roots of unity in mathematics?

Roots of unity have many applications in mathematics, including in geometry, number theory, and complex analysis. They also have connections to fundamental concepts such as symmetry, group theory, and the roots of polynomials. Additionally, they are used in practical applications such as signal processing and coding theory.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the roots of unity with index n?

Yes, there is a specific method for finding the roots of unity with index n. It involves using the nth roots of unity formula: z = e^(2πik/n), where k = 0, 1, 2, ..., n-1. This formula will give you all the complex roots of unity for a given n.